586,156 active members*
3,903 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rotary Phase convertor

I jsut purchased a Regenerative 15 hp 3 Ph blower, and would like to hook it up tp a rotary phase convertor, the blower is 15h, 208/230/460 v and ther I leave you. I'd like to keep the cost to a minimum as I dont want it to cost more than the blower did. what do I need, and if youre in Austin, I'd kiss your feet for a week - Dubliner

I just built a 10 hp rotary phase converter.I was given a 10hp 3phase motor,had it meged,and put new bearings in it,I researched building a start panel,and found it cheaper to buy one on ebay.The one I bought is the cheapest on ebay,and it is marginal,but works.The terminal strips are small,all the contactors,condensors, and hardware where loose,and the layout is cramped and it is only balanced to 8.5%.
    You can build one out of a 3Ph motor and rope start it,pony motor start it or like I did controller with capacitor start,depending on weather or not running sensitive electronics dictates the need for good balance between phases(5% is optimal).I have $200 in mine with control and bearings and another $200 in wiring,If you have a good source for 3ph mtrs& contactors you could build it for less,( i didnt other than free mtr). good luck and if you have any other questions feel free.Pedrobilt

Dubliner,

You could order a VFD and be up and running in less than a hour.

http://tinyurl.com/yjfdy8a

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

VFD

Thanks Jalessi, but 1400$ cost more than the blower. I'm afraid I prefer Pedrobilt's solution. If I could just understand it I'd be on the right road. Thanks though. I'll trawl Ebay for a cheaper one in case.