586,414 active members*
3,394 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hardinge spindle bearing replacement?

I need to replace the spindle bearing in my Hardinge VMC 1000. It seems there are "upper bearings" and " lower bearings" in this spindle. The noise is coming from the upper . Does anyone have any experience replacing this bearing,in this machine? The noise is puzzeling as well, it makes a rattling noise, and gets very hot, for about 10min. , then the noise goes away, it cools off, and runs fine. This is a very unnerving problem as I depend on this machine daily.

Thanks for help

I replaced the bearings in an ACRA about a year ago. It is nearly a spot on replica of the Hardinge. Not very hard to do. I am getting ready to head off to work. I will catch back up this evening.

From what you have said it sounds like the nut that tightens the bearing packs down to the inner race spacer might have gotten loosened up. (IMHO) But I could be wrong. Getting the spindle out isn't hard. Having some 2x4 boards to set it on before removing the last bolt will save your back.

If it's any thing like I remember you are going to have to replace the entire lot of seals in the toolchanger boosting cylinder while your at it. They ALWAYS leak. a new one is more than $1200. With a little patience and about $100. you can get enough seals to rebuild it 10 times.

If I can help with any info I have let me know.