587,035 active members*
3,159 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 10 123

Joes 2nd Machine

First of all i had build a simple and cheap CNC Machine for one purpose only, to be able to machine parts for my New CNC Machine I am building now.

Here is the 1st machine..

Also a teaser of it cutting..

http://www.lumenlab.com/~joe2000chev...-cnc%20new.wmv
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails controllor board test.JPG   final machine.JPG   DSCF0382a.JPG   DSCF0381a.JPG  

OK now that I built the 1st one I was able to learn the software and working of CNC, then came the task of drawing up plans, I got a jrgo plans, but they had an even smaller cutting area than the 1st one i built this would not do me, so I sat Down and redrew it all to a much larger machine, This one will have a cutting area of around 26"x45" (to be finally determaned when finished). After I got it all modeled the way I wanted it came the task of starting to manufacture all the parts.

So now here are the parts I have done thus far for your enjoyment and questions are open. Here is a screen capture of the model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Final Drawing.jpg   gantry_both_sides.JPG   gantry_Lt_side.JPG   gantry_rt_side.JPG  

Gantry_Cutouts.jpg  

Cutting parts on 1st CNC Machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cutting_X_Axis1.JPG   Cutting_X_Axis2.JPG   Small_Adj_Blk.JPG   X_ Axis_Assembly1.JPG  

X_ Axis_Assembly2.JPG  

Now the Gantry, Also sitting on 1st machine to compare the size.

And last pic of EMC cutting parts on 1st machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gantry_put_together_1.JPG   gantry-4-13-05.JPG   Gantry_with_Z_Axis.JPG   Linux-EMC-4-13-05.JPG  

Very nice work Joe, I bet this goes much faster then the first one

yes, 1st one took about 3 weeks, this one is taking about 2 weeks (working in the evening, and a weekend, but I should be finished this weekend.

Looking good Joe!! I've started on a second smaller machine in steel, mostly, and I'm still finishing the little parts on my first machine.....Too many ideas, not enough time.....!! Keep the posts coming love to see new builds, especially different approaches to the same problem....

BTW, are you using the BDI for EMC???

Joe I must applaud you on not only building a 1st machine but also a 2nd!!!!!!! man you don't hang around. When making your'e own machine would you recommend building the basic structure 1st ie just basically the frame and then getting leadscrews, motors etc after or do you get all the materials 1st and then make the frame to fit??? It puzzles me of what is the besy way to go any help is always very well appreciated. Laz.

Aren't you going to get a lot of flex with those long unsupported pipes?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by lurch
    Looking good Joe!! I've started on a second smaller machine in steel, mostly, and I'm still finishing the little parts on my first machine.....Too many ideas, not enough time.....!! Keep the posts coming love to see new builds, especially different approaches to the same problem....

BTW, are you using the BDI for EMC???
    yes, the one i have is BDI-EMC 4.18

Quote Originally Posted by Kammo1
    Joe I must applaud you on not only building a 1st machine but also a 2nd!!!!!!! man you don't hang around. When making your'e own machine would you recommend building the basic structure 1st ie just basically the frame and then getting leadscrews, motors etc after or do you get all the materials 1st and then make the frame to fit??? It puzzles me of what is the besy way to go any help is always very well appreciated. Laz.
    What i do is see the parts that is most available and easy to get then build a machine around that. For example the standard lengths and standard thread and pipe dia.

Cut out the Anti Backlash Nut Assembly, here is a picture on CNC Machine and a Finished Assembly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cutting Anti Backlash Nuts.JPG   Anti Backlash Nuts Assembly.JPG  

Motor / Lead Screw coupler.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motor and lead screw Coupler.JPG  

Here are the Large Adjustment Blocks.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large Adjustment Blocks.JPG  

Large Adjustment Blocks Installed...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Axis End Plates with Adjustment Blocks.JPG  

Added two springs tothe Z Axis to act as a counter balance so the motor does not have to work as hard to lift the tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z Axis Springs.JPG  

Looks great Joe,

The springs are an original idea.

I am also starting the build of my second machine. It will look alot like yours I think. I have finished manufacturing the parts out of nylon and bought my sheet of 3/4 MDF today. I am planning how to cut all the pieces out of the 4'X8' sheet. My first machine was the JRGO and my second will be a decendent thereof. Keep the pics coming!!!!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    Aren't you going to get a lot of flex with those long unsupported pipes?
    I will see once it is finished, if so i can add a suport on the interior of the pipes.

Got the Bottom Section complete, not just need to put it all together, Here is a picture of it, and also a picture to see the Size comparison to my 1st machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bottom section Complete.JPG   Bottom Complete for comparison.JPG  

Gantry Installed....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gantry Installed.JPG  

Page 1 of 10 123