587,781 active members*
2,996 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: DIY Upgrade

DIY Upgrade

I work for a lighting company in FL(we also do some signage). We have a Computerized Cutters AccuCut Model 48. Its a CNC Router that is computer driven via parallel port using a program called MaxCAM. We'd like to run the machine independent of the computer so the computer is free once the files are sent to the CNC, preferably using 3d gcode. Where would be a good place to start as far as hardware and software?

The Ncpod will do that. Stores the gcode on an SD card and will run once started but the software control is not well developed AFIK.
    Mach3 will run the NCpod but not in that way.

No doubt there are other more upmarket options as well.

By far the easiest and cheapest way will be to get another computer to dedicate to machine control and network it with the computer used in design etc.

Does not need to be very high spec. Just enough to run the MaxCam. As thats all you would use it for.

Greg

That is what we do now. Having the machine run on Windows 98 and the low-tech software have become a problem lately. Any minor interruption in the computer can ruin an entire sheet of material.

What are the up-market options? We're not against spending money on this. Every time the machine freezes in the middle of a job is more motivation to make a change.

Another old accucut user

I recently purchased an old accucut 48 and would have to run it on a win98 machine with MaxCut. I am concidering the following upgrade I found on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I would rather run Mach3 on a little newer and more reliable machine.
    Does anyone have suggestions comments to help me with this decision?

With the disclaimer that I don't know anything about this machine, if the current computer just supplies step and direction signals, why not just change to the new computer and mach 3 first? Then if you need stronger / faster motors or you're being held back by an old controller, add the G540 and new motors?