587,791 active members*
3,272 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Can I use polyester resin

Can I use the polyester resin to level my x-axis (the table where my PRO4896 shall be on) instead of the epoxy?
    Casting polyester seems to have a very low viscosity and is self leveling and it is very common, I have a hard time finding epoxy.

All I can figure out is that epoxy is a little stronger but is it necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunni View Post
    Can I use the polyester resin to level my x-axis (the table where my PRO4896 shall be on) instead of the epoxy?
    Casting polyester seems to have a very low viscosity and is self leveling and it is very common, I have a hard time finding epoxy.

All I can figure out is that epoxy is a little stronger but is it necessary?
    I don't see a problem with it but it sounds like a lot of work. I can't tell from your post if you mean the bed of the router or the workbench it's going to sit on.

If it's the bed, you are much better off just using a standard material like MDF, plastic, or aluminum and facing that directly with the router. You want something that is level with the plane of movement and if that machine isn't precisely leveled gravity will pull your cast table out of position.

If it's the workbench the router sits on, why not just go with leveling feet?

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Home - Fine Line Automation
    Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

its the workbench it's going to sit on not all of it just the length of the x-axis so I have something level to put the aluminum extrution on it's been done on a lot of builds but there have always been used epoxy.

@Gunni,

I would NOT use polyester resin for leveling....polyester resin is very weak/brittle w/o filler, that is the reason people use epoxy or urethane. There are several products designed specifically for leveling, I would suggest one of them. If you MUST use polyester, I would suggest using it to laminate a new wood/mdf top surface onto the bench. You could use a polyester based putty filler to fill the larger voids, and then laminate the new wood/mdf top using polyester resin before the putty is too far along in the curing process (this way you get the best possible polyester to polyester bond.) There are several ways to skin the cat, but using polyester resin w/o filler is not going to do anything except create problems.
    Fish