587,877 active members*
4,396 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport eztrak bmdc

i have one bridgeport eztrak sx 2 axis cnc with bmdc3s rev c that is bad. i have the oppurtunity to buy a little bit older bridgeport eztrak sx 3 axis cnc with a bmdc2 card. this machine has the monitor completely missing but looks like the computer and harddrive is intact. my question is would this card be compatible in both machines and any oppinions on whether the 3 axis eztrak is worth $1000? i think it's a good deal but unsure. not sure of it's age.

Any Bridgeport iron in good shape is worth a grand. That is my opinion.
    A BMDC2 is good for only a 2 axis EZTRAK. A 3 axis EZTRAK had positioning issues with the Z using a linear scale and could hunt/jump to a new position. Thus Bridgeport retrofitted them with a motor with a rotary encoder. This required a BMDC3. My point is that a 3 axis EZTRAK without a rotary encoder on the Z motor is obsolete and unsafe.
    A BMDC3 can be used in a VMC, EZPATH, anywhere (except the VMC with a CIB because the end connector comes out at 90 degrees).

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

if i understand correctly i could get by pulling the bmdc2 card out of the 3 axis and use it in my curent 2 axis machine. then either upgrade the motor on the z axis on the 3 axis machine and use a bmdc3? or just retrofit it with some panasonic encoder servo motors and use EMC2. i would like to get one up and running with the eztrack software. i know for sure now my bmd3s rev c is fried. the bmdc2 card in the new machine looks promising. i'm going to purchase the machine.

any chance someone can point me to the b3t.exe file? would love to see what it says about my bmdc card ny help would be appreciated.