587,125 active members*
3,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC Punch press plans

Hello,
    I have not seen any mention of plans to build a CNC punch press here or a forum here dedicated to CNC punching or Amada turrets in particular.
    I have been planning on making a CNC punch with around a 24" x 36" travel for some time with about a 5 ton punching capacity. I also wanted to make a CNC router table with a similar travel and thought maybe I could do a combination tool with either an interchangeable work head or tool heads at opposing ends. If anyone has seen a thread for a CNC punch press build I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction to check out the thread. Thanks for any information that can be provided.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

I'm thinking I may end up doing something closer to the Amada SP30 punch press for a shop CNC punch(single station). It would basically be a small capacity punch with an X and Y axis attached and would allow a much more stable punching station. The part is just held up against the X and Y gauge blocks and then relocated each time the axis move to a new coordinate. The SP30 comes with a 3 station tool holder but even with a single station tool holder it is quick to make tool changes.
    Apparently there are not too many CNC punch operators that frequent the CNCZone as there are no replies and probably as little interest in this type of machine. For sheet metal a punch is much faster than a laser and machining and is optimum for production.
    Maybe that is why there is not even a forum dedicated to CNC punch presses.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

CNC Punch Press

No plans, but I found these. They were taken at the NEMES '08 show. I'm also interested in a machine like this. I'd sure like to see the plans for these machines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC_Punch_Press.JPG   CNC_Punch_Press2.JPG  

The Roper Whitney CNC conversion is close to what I am thinking of except I would make it with all the X axis travel to the left side of the ram. That way it can be positioned so as to leave the front working area clear of moving parts. It makes for easier access to the punching area with no obstuctions. I would like to have a single stroke hydraulic or mechanical ram actuated with a foot pedal also. Even an old kickpress would be a good foundation for a conversion. The frame would be sturdy to attach the axis to and then you would be able to hold the part with your hands and kick the pedal to punch when the axis are at the location..
    I have a CNC router/mill of about 2' x 3' in the works now but the CNC punch press definitely needs to be addressed after that. Thanks for posting the pictures! Keep me informed to your progress if you are going to make a CNC punch. I will post any progress I have with the plans for my CNC punch as they are available. I currently operate the Amada EMK 3610 NT CNC punch(pictured in my avatar) which is completely servo driven. It's an awesome machine and I know my CNC punch will be no where close to it but it will be an awesome tool to have in the shop.
    Regards,
    Wes

Hey Metalworkz and Dang,
    Are you guys still around! I remember seeing a machine similar to the second picture that dang posted for sale a long time ago for around $1500US. I figure it should be fairly easy to build a machine like that from a mechanical view point but finding the software to output the correct axis positions for punching might be a bit of a challenge.
    I'm up to my eyeballs in alligators for the moment, but might start a new build thread this winter if you guys are interested.

Rob D.

Hi Rob,
    I am interested, and I plan on building something generally similar to the Amada Sp-30 hydraulic punch. I have not done any drawings other than some pencil sketches yet but I have a lot of experience with sheetmetal and punching in particular and would like to build something for my shop. Keep me informed when you get around to building yours.
    Best regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

I'd be really interested in that build thread as well.

There's plenty of software out there to do the CAD/CAM part, some of it is quite expensive. I think that with the usefulness that this type of machine would present to me, that I'd be willing to buy the cheaper versions of the wares.

Alligators huh? You in Fla? Where?

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Thanks Switcher!

That's the one ... except with inflation!

Wes & Dang,

I was thinking of using a 1 or 2 ton OBI type punch press and replace the relay with a 5 volt for use with a breakout board, probably weld c-channel to the press frame for alignment then sever the back of the press throat to get 48 inches of total stroke - I've got a couple of 4 foot 1mm ball screws I was going to use when I get a round to it (or a Squaretoit for that matter).

Dang,
    I wish I was in Florida .. I'm up here on the shores of Lake Ontario in the Great White North!

Wow, you're aiming for a lot of travel: 48" x 48"? I would be able to get by fine with say
    X36" & Y15", but I'm thinking of shooting for X36" Y24" for a CNC punch in my garage shop. How do you plan on bridging the gap after severing the back of the press?
    Best regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

I was thinking I might build a 4x8 double tiered structure with 2 1/2 or 3 inch sq tube, place the punch in the front center of the structure, then use pre-stressed c-channel to bolt through the top and bottom of the yoke before severing the back of the throat.

I was hoping for a half sheet capability in aluminum between.092 to .125 (6061 or 5052), but I may be forced to scale down to between 24 and 36 inches on one of the axis because the envelope doubles for a full stroke of movement.

It's a big footprint for my little shop/garage and I could get a full sheet capability if I went to a plasma rig (even with one of the cheap chinese 30amp units) ... but plasma's alot dirtier for home use ... and it simply isn't the same!

Rob

Hello guys,

Are any of you still around and thinking about the CNC punch press idea? I just finished a small CNC bridge style router and am thinking of doing a small CNC punch press build for my garage shop. Anyone take their ideas further and get their build started or done?? I'm still thinking a kick-press would be a good foundation for a CNC conversion for punching. Foot activated so the part can be held with both hands as the X and Y gauges move to position and then the pedal is kicked to punch through the material. I hope there are still some people interested or pursuing this?
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

I'm game if you are. I'm always looking for new builds to add to my workshop...

Quote Originally Posted by metalworkz View Post
    Hello guys,

Are any of you still around and thinking about the CNC punch press idea? I just finished a small CNC bridge style router and am thinking of doing a small CNC punch press build for my garage shop. Anyone take their ideas further and get their build started or done?? I'm still thinking a kick-press would be a good foundation for a CNC conversion for punching. Foot activated so the part can be held with both hands as the X and Y gauges move to position and then the pedal is kicked to punch through the material. I hope there are still some people interested or pursuing this?
    Regards,

Hello,
    It is good to see someone still around and interested. I'm in the process of finishing up my small CNC router build and have a rotary axis that I need to finish also but want to get the ideas sorted and start drawing some of the next projects. I spent work on some 5th axis drawings today but then saw your reply
    I was thinking that a kick press would make a good sized foundation for a small CNC punch press, and they are usually around a 5 ton punch capacity so there is a lot of capability with this envelope. Maybe a 36"Y and 18" Y if the larger model is found reasonably priced?
    If a simple X-Y gauge table is used without the kick press or other press source one would have to then figure a method to punch the material and devise that part of the build. There are several ways to produce that much force with leverage mechanically but that is almost like re-inventing the punch. It just seems there is a lot of used machinery and perhaps one could find a punch unit and basically convert it to CNC.
    What ideas did you have for something like this CNC punch?
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Foot operated punch press sounds like a good way to loose a body part! Then again, when I ran punch presses, they were large industrial 10 ton on up. They had two buttons that both had to be pressed, plus cables that would pull you back if you tried to get your hands in right after pressing the buttons. So maybe you are up to something different that would not be a safety issue.

Hello,
    You may not have seen or operated a kick press. They are manual machines and the punching action is achieved by stepping on the pedal with your weight to accomplish the task. I have a lot of experience using these machines in a precision sheetmetal fabrication shop, and if you are able to hold you hand under the punch and then kick the pedal or jump on it you probably will do some major damage to your hand or completely sever it or some fingers. The hands are normally occupied holding the sheet metal part against the gauges or stops during the punching action. With the moving X and Y gauge bars this allows the use of your hands to keep the part positioned along the stops as they move to each coordinate and then actuate the punch with your foot or feet. With the proper die shoes you can even punch up to a 2" square in lighter gauge material. It is a single station punch and the punch needs to be aligned with the die and then tightened so there is equal clearance all around the punch. I think a standard set of tools up to a .50" round should be available at used machinery companies fairly cheap. A friend just got a Strippit super 30-30 press with tooling a grainer, and a tig welder for around $2000 at an auction.
    I have operated all sorts of presses from 1 ton through 600 tons, and I am aware of the type of foot actuated control where a step on the pedal is sure to invoke a single cycle of the press, and I would not advocate something like that for the DIY shop. Only a person with prior experience and training should attempt using those for hobby use, and even then they are dangerous to work with.( never put any part of your body in the pinch zone between the tools)

Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Oh, yah I was picturing a motorized punch press where you press a button and the die comes down fast. The big ones I worked with were actually safer, because they were much slower. Did that for three months; definitely the worst three months of my life!

Hello,
    I think they may give a false sense of safety but they are definitely more powerful and deadly if you happen to have an accident. The 600 ton presses I used to set up were large machines(about 8' square and stood 15'-20' above the ground with the bottom of the machine below the ground level another 8') and shook the ground 500 yards away when blanking thick tank heads. They have a relatively slow moving ram but man what a powerful machine.
    The small CNC punch I am thinking of making would be fairly safe and it would be best if a guard was mounted around the punching area for safety. The guard would be removed to do the set-ups and replaced before operation.
    In a hobby use setting probably only one person would be using the press, but it would be good to have a guard to prevent the curious person from getting their fingers punched off.
    Regards,
    Wes

Hello guys,
    I have a small 1 ton hand press that is currently bolted to the work bench, that will hold up to a 1/2" diameter tool shank, and I think it will work fine for a proof of concept build. I will design a base/frame for the punch and include the needed framework for the gauging system of the X and Y axis. The Amada SP-30 utilized a belt drive for the X and Y axis and I will have to compare the cost difference and effeciency of the belt drive to a direct drive and decide which way to go with that.
    Since I have the punch the cost should be minimal except for stepper motors and motion control electronics. I'll see if I can get some plans started for the build.
    Regards,
    Wes

Hello,
    I got a picture of the hand punch I am thinking of using for the small CNC punch build I have been talking about instead of the kick-press. I already have this punch and the cost for the punch will not be a factor. Now I have to get some plans drawn and put it together.

Regards,
    Wes

Page 1 of 2 12