587,243 active members*
3,284 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > angular contact bearings face to face??

angular contact bearings face to face??

Hi there...I was hoping someone could direct me in the proper way to pair the angular contact bearings. I have read about face to face and back to back. I have attached a pic of the bearings I have. At the risk of sounding dumb, how does one determine which is the face and which is the back. I have paired them both ways and one way allows the bearings to roll independently of each other while the other forces the bearings to roll together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bearings.JPG  

One edge of each race is thin, the other is thick. The thick side is the load-bearing side of the race. You will notice that the thick side of the inner and outer races of one bearing oppose each other.

Of course, you always want to orient the races so that you have "thick facing thick" or "thin facing thin" in order to obtain any kind of factory preload on the bearing pair.

As to how you should pair them, it really depends on how you plan on retaining them in the housing or on the shaft. If the retainer is a nut on the shaft, then you want the outer races to be "captive" to the inner races, so this means that you orient the pair with the thick side of the inner races facing out, one against the shaft shoulder, and the other against the nut.

If the retainer is a nut in the housing, pressing the outer races together, then the opposite orientation would apply.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I understand...Thank you so much......In my application the bearings will be retained by a nut, so thick side of the inner races facing out trapped between the shoulder of the screw and the nut. Thank you so much for quick and thorough explanation......

Sincerely,
    Chris