587,262 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF5 Spindle Drive problems.

I have a 2004 VF5 30 H.P.that's got many issues related to the spindle drive system. The problem started months ago when the spindle (orient) locked suddenly while running at 1200 RPM. The alarms were related to spindle overload and spindle overheat. After e-stopping the machine and powering off, the spindle was still locked. I turned the machine back on and did a power on restart and the problem went away. It repeated again about three days later. The drive unit never shows shows alarms and this machine does not have an outboard capacitor. I've checked the spindle power connections....(disappointed to find a kludged wire nut set up from the factory) Cleaned them up and improved the connections. Problem went away for three months. Recently other issues have happened. It will run fine until a tool change and then refuse to unlock the spindle after orientation. This problem disappeared when the machine was disconnected from the three phase supply overnight (breaker) The latest is that the spindle won't start and the spindle load meter is pegged. The spindle may, or may not be locked when this happens. The very latest and most disturbing issue is that the spindle is making a rattling noise and varying noticeably in speed. The load meter is also varying with the speed and is abnormally high. The spindle doesn't feel like it's a bearing problem and it came out of the blue. Since all these issues appear to be random and unpredictable I'm loathe to call Haas in $$$. I'm hoping that somebody has had similar problems and can throw some light on this.
    Thanks,Kev.

Sorry, but I have never come across a problem such as you are describing. Unfortunately, without being able to reproduce the condition and because it is very intermitten, it will be hard to track down until it gets worse.

Only thing I can think of at the moment would be to double check the spindle encoder, belt and pulley carefully. The pulleys are made of aluminum and will become worn and/or distorted which can cause belt failure and inaccurate readings.

Good luck and keep us updated with anything you find.

we had a similar problem once on a vf2 was actually the tool release piston hanging up which was locking up the spindle. I don't recall the exact problem but we did think it was a spindle or motor until we took the covers off. the piston was not fully releasing but still was able to make the prox switch that would allow the spindle to try and run. like your problem if you leave it sit it would bleed back enough to be ok. just something you may want to check

Still trouble shooting spindle problem

At this point the MOCON board has been replaced. The Vector drive tested good on another machine and the spindle motor has been replaced. The encoder appears to be working fine. When I try to run the spindle at 300 rpm clockwise the spindle rotates very slowly counter clockwise (it looks like it's trying to orient) and the spindle load meter pegs hard in the red. There are no alarms. When I try to orient the spindle it does the same thing, but fails to orient. The load meter hovers around 110% when I try to orient. It does alarm time out. Incidentally, I disconnected the motor cabling and shut the breaker off and test ran the motor/gearbox/spindle assembly with direct 230 VAC 3 phase to make sure that it wasn't a mechanical issue. It ran fine.

Is there some kind of initiating procedure that has to be done after replacing the spindle motor, MOCON board and Vector Drive? Any help would be appreciated.
    CaptainKev.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKev View Post
    At this point the MOCON board has been replaced. The Vector drive tested good on another machine and the spindle motor has been replaced. The encoder appears to be working fine. When I try to run the spindle at 300 rpm clockwise the spindle rotates very slowly counter clockwise (it looks like it's trying to orient) and the spindle load meter pegs hard in the red. There are no alarms. When I try to orient the spindle it does the same thing, but fails to orient. The load meter hovers around 110% when I try to orient. It does alarm time out. Incidentally, I disconnected the motor cabling and shut the breaker off and test ran the motor/gearbox/spindle assembly with direct 230 VAC 3 phase to make sure that it wasn't a mechanical issue. It ran fine.

Is there some kind of initiating procedure that has to be done after replacing the spindle motor, MOCON board and Vector Drive? Any help would be appreciated.
    CaptainKev.
    Sounds like a parameter issue. Look in the manual that came with your machine and see if there is a printout of the parameters that the machine came shipped with. Compare the printed values to the ones in the machine. Be aware that if the software has been updated, you can expect to see some differences though.

Spindle Problem

Unfortunately, I bought this machine used and it didn't come with a manual, or printout. So I'm at a loss to know what they be. I have another question.....with the three motor output leads disconnected at the Vector drive should the load meter peg hard if there is a command to run the spindle?. Thanks,
    CaptainKev

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKev View Post
    Unfortunately, I bought this machine used and it didn't come with a manual, or printout. So I'm at a loss to know what they be. I have another question.....with the three motor output leads disconnected at the Vector drive should the load meter peg hard if there is a command to run the spindle?. Thanks,
    CaptainKev
    Yes, the load meter could still read wrong.

Contact your dealer and send them a copy of your machine parameters to evaluate. They can provide download instructions if needed.

They have a program that they can use to compare your parameters with and provide suggested changes if needed for your machine.

Have your model, serial number, software version, and a listing of all machine options. Again, your dealer can help you figure all of this out over the phone if you don't know how or where to find it.

Good luck!

Thanks, The previous owner lost the manual, however when I called him he had actually had filed the datasheets, so I got a fax copy. It looks identical to what I have in the machine.
    I'm trying to understand how the vector drive can indicate 200% load & 15kw when it's disconnected from the spindle motor.....and why doesn't the machine alarm? I could assume that the number is bogus, but I've already burnt up a spindle motor. I'm trying to get a hold of a clamp meter to verify the actual current draw on the input to the drive. None of this explains why the drive won't orient the spindle, though.

1. The motor turning slowly backward and pegging the load meter. Is an example of a missing or crossed phase at the motor or drive.

2. On the orient problem, If electronic orient check the drive to besure you are not getting both an orient signal and a run signal at the same time.
    if yours has a mechanical orient check that the return air line is not blocked causing a slow return, check it all the way back to the exhaust port filter. the prox should be adjusted so that the orient signal does not clear until the spindle is free to rotate. Slow return + early "clear" = problems.