587,092 active members*
3,003 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

changing from a er-25 collet to a r8??

hi,
    my name is matt and i am new to your community. i work for a sign company and we have a larken 24x24 CNC router. it is equiped w/ a technomotion 3hp spindle and it has a er-25 collet. i machine face of signs and it takes forever w/ a 1in end mill. (thats the biggest i can find for my collet). i was looking into shell mills but i see that the bigger ones (3in and above) need to be used in a r8. my question is can i convert my spindle into an r8?

thansk in advance,

matt

How fast will this spindle be turning during the facing operation? There are speed limits on large diameter tooling. For example a 3" facemill might be restricted to 1/3 the rpm of a 1" dia tool. So the potential benefit is perhaps not as great as it would seem to be if a light single pass is all that is required.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

the spindle is variable from 0 to 24000rpm

the 1in bit is spun at 16000 rpm w/ coolant and takes .040 per pass. i usually need to only mill .020 but occasionally i will need to mill .125 total depth depending if i am making custom plates.

thanks,
    matt

An ER25 collet will hold 16 mm diameter. That's a limit.

However, what you are doing may not require a real milling cutter, nor a shell mill. Have you considered a *balanced* fly cutter? I use one for facing off sacrificial work surfaces with a 60 mm dia cut.

You can even make one of these very easily. To get it balanced, use a long bit of tool steel sticking out both sides about equally.

Cheers