587,189 active members*
2,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Will this power supply work?

Will this power supply work?

I am looking for a power supply for some Gecko's..

Will this work? It is 54v output, and also 5v output I can use for breakout board and stuff. I plan on using Gecko 203v's. It also has a 12v out put which I could use power fans with.

Ebay Item number: 270114593607
    Donald

Anyone know about the above PS? I have my BOB and my Gecko 203's will be here next week.
    Donald

Can't tell you about the PS, but I buy all my individual Toroids from him, good product.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I would probably go with this one.

A little more money would get this one.

It really depends on your motors and what you are using the Gecko's on too.
    The supply you mentioned will work, but will be less power than the two links. The first link is the same cost.
    The PS you mentioned can use 5v or 12v. Not both at the same time, at least the way I read it. 2-5's or 2-12's.
    I am building a plasma with only slightly more volts but fewer amps. I invested in a lab supply because I can use it for testing lots of setups. It's pretty versatile, but I think I will buy a supply from this outfit on Ebay for my mill that I am also working on. They look like decent supplies and they have numerous ranges to choose from.
    What are you doing with your Gecko's and what will they be pushing?

Sorry. That first link was the PS you mentioned. This is the one I had intended to be there.
    Lee

This will be for a Sieg X3 Mill. I do not have steppers yet.
    I am looking a nema 34 640 or so for the Z and nema 23 425's or 497's for the x and Y.
    Donald

Sounds like you will want to make the most of the Gecko's with those motors.
    The second link would be my choice to drive those.
    Gecko's can take a max of 80VDC with 7A per drive.

Here are some motors that are in the range you mentioned as a guide for the ratings.

640 oz NEMA 34.

425 oz NEMA 23.

495 oz NEMA 23.

The first one has a rating of 4.05V and 4.5A.

The second motors ratings are 4.6V and 2.8A.

The thirds ratings are 3.6v and 3A.

Now I will warn you, I am no expert.

Gecko's can use up to 80VDC. The voltage for the motors should be from 4 to 20 times the rated voltage. The range of voltage to drive the first motor would be 16.2VDC to 81VDC. This covers the full range of the Gecko's at from 24VDC to 80VDC. The more the merrier within the limits.

I think you are looking at a total of 10.5A per phase draw on the PS.
    More is merrier here as well because you can limit the current with the set resistor for each drive.
    The formula for that is in the Gecko manual.
    I would say for a mill that you would want to be capable of at least that many amps output on your PS.
    I went a little less than max on my plasma, but really shouldn't have. I think I may squeak by though because the Z is so light and would only be doing THC moves most of the time. We shall see.

At any rate, the PS you mentioned will drive these motors, but won't be as strong as using closer to the max ratings of either the Gecko's or the motors. Just under the max is probably best.
    Lee

Cool

Geez this is so hard to choose. I am on a budget and sold my sherline mill running a hobbycnc board. Now I am upgrading to a X3 with ballscews and some peopel say a Xylotex board would do it but not great. So geckos would be better, but my budget is getting shot down with geckos. I have a BOB and 3 203's so far. Just need to get me a power source now and seems to be a budget killer as well.

I would be happy with 20-30 IPM rapids....anything more is a bonus.

Whay can't anything just be simple....
    Donald

It is simple, just not cheap if you want performance.
    You could run the motors on far less of a power source than what you were looking at. Gecko's do need a minimum of 24 volts. You could power your motors from a 24 volt battery charger. You just won't get good performance. There are guys on this forum that have daisy chained PC power supplies and ran motors. I haven't seen that done on Gecko's, but with smaller drivers.
    I fully understand about having a budget. Nearly everyone here has had to deal with those. You may get lucky if you shop around.
    Here is another source of decent PS's.
    You can find an inexpensive supply that will run the Gecko's now and swap it out later when your budget allows. I would still put the max current set resistor for your motors on the gecko's. That way you don't have to buy those twice. You don't need the capacitor for the 203v and you can actually run those on just 18VDC as opposed to 24VDC for the 201 and 202's.
    Shop around, you should easily find something that would get you up and running.
    You may have to stay at home on Friday night though.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    my budget is getting shot down with geckos. )
    Your budget is fine you just need to recycle more of those empty beer cans.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.