587,777 active members*
2,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fitting a VFD to a Bridgeport mill

Can anyone fill me in on the pro's and conns of fitting a bridgeport type mill with a VFD?
    I suppose that low speed torque would be sacrifised, but how feasable is it?
    My controll (Anilam crusager G)outputs a analog voltage to controll speed and at present it is hooked up to a motor and "controller" board that changes the handwheel on the head. it is slow to opperate and only acurate/ repeatable to about 30% of the programmed value. The analog signal should be easy to hook up to the VFD though.

Thank you
    Pieter

Some of the gains should be the ability to ramp up the speed and to brake the motor without mechanical means. (i like this one)
    and a simplified drive train doing away with the variable pulley system. This might make higher speeds possible.
    Any comments welcome
    P

VFD bridgeport.

Quote Originally Posted by zoeper View Post
    Can anyone fill me in on the pro's and conns of fitting a bridgeport type mill with a VFD?
    My controll (Anilam crusager G)outputs a analog voltage to controll speed and at present it is hooked up to a motor and "controller" board that changes the handwheel on the head. it is slow to opperate and only acurate/ repeatable to about 30% of the programmed value. The analog signal should be easy to hook up to the VFD though.

Thank you
    Pieter

I have a hitachi sj200 sensorless vector drive hooked to my bport btc-1.
    It came from the factory with an early vfd and a 2 speed gear box along with a 3hp motor. The sensorless vector helps with the low speed torque and is the way to go in my opinion. I am working on integrating the 2 speed to be controlled by Mach3. As it is now, If I have to go into low gear, I have to do it manually.

See my build log here. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66994

There has been some discussion that the gear spread is too wide to work properly but so far it is working well for me, not that I have done much maching with it yet.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by zoeper View Post

Thank you
    Pieter
    Pieter,

I see no cons whatsoever. You will lose torque at lower RPMs, (below perhaps 30-40Hz), but you can also run to as much as 200% of base speed. Overall, it will greatly reduce, though not eliminate, belt changes. You'll still need to change belts when going to very high or very low speeds. I have a Teco FM50 (under $200) on my 3HP BP clone, and love it.

Regards,
    Ray L.