587,302 active members*
3,295 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Yet another "PlasmaBot" build :D

After seeing the incredible progress of Winegar's Plasmabot build thread (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasma...4x4_table.html) I was drawn in like a moth to a flame to attempt it myself. Here is the start of my build log but I am basically following Winegar's thread to the T so do not expect to see much difference here. This will be the trial and error build thread

I started my table this weekend and boy welding and squaring and levelling is a task on an unlevel floor. Does not help either when the metal is not cut square.

Some grinding later and *cough* welding *cough* - this is where I am at.

As can be seen my garage is small, not level and has no space for anything else LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB pictures 043.jpg   BB pictures 044.jpg   IMG_0181.jpg   IMG_0183.jpg  

IMG_0185.jpg   IMG_0187.jpg  

Looking good, as to garage size if the shop is bigger we just put more stuff in it and still no room, trust me.

Farmer, that is the truth if I ever heard it ...............................jb

You got started already!... Good for you!.... You will get better welding as time goes on... I'm guessing you are using a flux core welder aren't you?.... I'm a gas kind of guy... It is a little cleaner and requires little to no grinding or wire brushing.... Cleaning welds drive me crazy!....

Looking good, just dont slack off till she is finished!

awesome! :cheers:

When i get back from afghanistan i am gonna start mine.

Quote Originally Posted by vdubjim View Post
    awesome! :cheers:

When i get back from afghanistan i am gonna start mine.
    Just wanted to wish you a safe return home, and thanks to you and your guys!...
    I was 2/3 ACR Howitzer Battery out of Ft Carson... How Bat is now back in Ft Hood I think... Oh, the good ol days... But i wont ponder on old memories too much... However I will be doing the Rolling Thunder "ride to the wall" this year.... about 12 hours by motorcycle.... My back just tightened up thinking about it!... Wish you guys the best!

Brave Rifles, Winegar

Thanks.
    I hope between your 2 builds ill figure this thing out

hey everyone just so you don't think I dropped out, I have been hospitalized since last week.

And no thankfully not a welding incident

Picked up an infection from who knows where since I had just started a training course and 2 days in I started feeling really sick, next day I am in hospital and still trying to get home.

What annoys me is most of my parts are waiting for me to pick up and also ordered all my gantry rails which according to PBC is 10-15 days out.

At least if I could get my smaller parts once home that can keep me busy during rest of recovery.

Well back to hospital food for now:tired:

Painful trip today as I am still not fully recovered but just had to go get the waiting parts in the States. Not everything is here yet to start on my build again but I can at least start checking things out. Pic of what was all waiting for me today including a great deal from Frys.

<off topic> Black Friday Frys had the 1100 logitech remote for $129 + a $80 rebate on top of that(this remote in Canada goes for $449). Anyway they cancelled our orders saying there was a computer glitch but after a "groubal" reinstated the order with a 12 week wait. They made us wait the full 12 weeks but it was worth it especially if my rebate goes through!</off topic>

Back on topic I will likely be ordering the G540 after much more reading so hopefully next week I will be back to full health and get going once more. Oh yeah rails are on order with a 10-15 day wait but winegar says he got his alot sooner than the initial ETA they gave him so hopefully the same for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails parts-sm.jpg  

G540 arrived yesterday as well as a very nice 15" touchscreen I picked up on ebay for $40. Works on win7 as well - it is from a kiosk so will have to fabricate my own housing.

As of today I am only waiting for the PBC rails and bushings. Also still not able to move freely so unable to finish table. Hopefully all is well by next week and I can get this project going full steam!

oh yeah it is a 3m touchstone fpm1001 if anyone is interested
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fpm1001.jpg  

That touchscreen would be great to have. If it was built for a kiosk it should be pretty durable. Get to feeling better so that we can get some more updates.

ok so as noted in winegar's thread STILL waiting for PBC rails ordered on 23 March! very frustrating :boxing:

I need some advice however. Thought I was welding correctly to minimize warp by going from side to side allowing metal to cool. As I was not paying much attention only when done noticed it. Is there anyway I can get the top rail straight short of cutting it off and using 2x2 16GA instead of the 2x1. Thought I would be painting the table today but need to know if I should sort this out first. Other option is that the PBC rails will be level so maybe use shims in the areas which dip?

Thanks for any advice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0204.JPG   IMG_0206.JPG   IMG_0208.JPG   IMG_0211.JPG  

IMG_0212.JPG  

I was in the phone this week with PBC to find out my status of my rails, they showed no order from my distributor for me this is the second time with the same order.

As for your issue with you have a few options.

You can add a rib underneath with 1x2 essentially forming a T.

You can add a vertical support in the center.

You might be able to heat the back side bend and quench it to shrink the metal.

With bolting down the rail it might pull the bow out.

Thanks BBR for the options!

Actually my distributor has been ignoring me. Had said last week that it should ship this Thursday so when I called to confirm on Thursday I left 3 messages and no return call. So you called PBC directly to find out about your order? Might do the same next week.

My distributor is Motion I ordered March 4th had not received anything so I called them on April 4th, they said they had dropped the ball and the order was not placed they said they would take care of it. I contacted PBC this week to check the order they then told me that there was no order placed from Motion with my info. I then called Motion they told me the order was placed back on April 4th and should be shipped soon. When I told them I had contacted PBC and they didn't have the order they said they would look into it and call me back. I have yet received a phone call.

That's pathetic and I hope you can get it sorted out soon.

I was just going to test my hvlp kit this afternoon but got carried away...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0217.JPG  

Kinda looks to me that your square tube stock wast bent before you welded it on.

I think I'd try some manual adjustment, maybe weld tubing in the middle between the upper and lower?

thanks Infection - to be honest I can't recall but with the distortion on the one side I am sure I would have seen it. I tried some heat treatment but no luck yet.

Called PBC directly today and it seems my order may have shipped. Since I did not have an order number he checked all open orders and there were IVTAASR rails still on open order to be completed by 28th (same as what I ordered) and some IVTAAN rails also still on open order. I then got hold of local distributor and they said my order shipped Thursday so should be here in 2-3 more days - we'll see

PBC (flame2) ME...no need to say anymore...I am still waiting...

Me to I have some rail from pbc orderd for over 3 weeks through local dist. Called today dist says pbc is 10 days or more out.
    I dont see how a copany can have any bussines with this attitude. I think my holdup is pbc and not my dist, but one never knows.
    I dont know of another source for this product or one like it, if anyone does please post because in the future i will gladly use something else. I hate to be a pain to a copany as important as pbc with my order, i know they have better things to do than sell the products they make.
    Sorry for the long winded rant
    Mike

Page 1 of 3 123