587,473 active members*
3,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Where to buy power cable for larger spindles?

Hybrid View

Re: Where to buy power cable for larger spindles?

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but do I need to worry about the unshielded ends of the cables where they connect to the VFD and the wall outlet plug? Obviously a short length of the shielding needs to be removed to allow you to attach it to the screw terminals and I can't imagine there is any additional shielding in plastic VFD enclosure.

Do people mount their vfd's inside a shielded enclosure to block leaks from the unshielded cable ends or is this just not an issue as long as the rest of the cable is properly shielded?
    It's only a problem if the Shields are not Grounded correctly, you should keep the unshielded terminal connecting wires as short as possible, there are more than one way to do it but direct Grounding of the Shield is best way to do it

The Best source for cable is IGUS https://www.igus.com/chainflex/control-cable, you can buy it by the foot
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    ....The Best source for cable is IGUS https://www.igus.com/chainflex/control-cable, you can buy it by the foot
    Very helpful link and priced per foot is great for the little guy. My last install just ran SO cord inside metallic liquid tight conduit which I got nearly free. The motor is stationary so no flex worries. Sometimes the budget requires strategies that would make the big boys roll their eyes but it seems to work fine. There are occasional deals on ebay but it waiting for a deal can get old.

Quote Originally Posted by joe90023 View Post
    Very helpful link and priced per foot is great for the little guy. My last install just ran SO cord inside metallic liquid tight conduit which I got nearly free. The motor is stationary so no flex worries. Sometimes the budget requires strategies that would make the big boys roll their eyes but it seems to work fine. There are occasional deals on ebay but it waiting for a deal can get old.
    Budget has nothing to do with it, you can still do a Hobby install just as good as any pro job, and for very little cost, some do a very good job, others do not

This attached photo is from the same company that Al posted a photo of, compare the 2 they where clearly done by different people, at the same company with a much better designed layout and components used
    Mactec54

Budget has nothing to do with it....
    The people buying Huanyang products will probably disagree with that.

...This attached photo is from the same company that Al posted a photo of, compare the 2 they where clearly done by different people, at the same company with a much better designed layout and components used
    It does look nicer although I'm not sure the first one rates "amateur at best". Got any pictures of your own work?

The people buying Huanyang products will probably disagree with that.
    And what is wrong with Huanyang products, if they are correctly wired as I have posted and the parameters set to what I have posted hundreds of times on here, they will have the same life as buying an expensive spindles Drives Etc to do the same job

It does look nicer although I'm not sure the first one rates "amateur at best". Got any pictures of your own work?
    Some hints in the first photo seeing you are obsessed with it, look at the Terminal Blocks, top row, this tells you something, if you can't see what is wrong, then my be you should not even be discussing this subject, then you have all the wires bundled together for ( 2 ) different systems, yes this is a pro job alright, someone most likely payed $6,000 to $10,000 for a job like this
    Mactec54

It's only a problem if the Shields are not Grounded correctly, you should keep the unshielded terminal connecting wires as short as possible, there are more than one way to do it but direct Grounding of the Shield is best way to do it

The Best source for cable is IGUS https://www.igus.com/chainflex/control-cable, you can buy it by the foot

Maybe I have a different way of understanding things than other people but those CNC wiring diagrams just don't explain anything without additional words to clarify. The wiring diagrams I understand show wires going between devices I can identify with specific info on which screw terminals they connect to on each.

To me, that top image shows four seperate ground wires going out from four seperate points to four seperate ground screws that aren't on either the VFD, the spindle or any of the plugs. It doesn't seem to say what those ground screws are connected to.

It also seems to show 4 wires going in to the VFD from the wall outlet for power.

When I asked here about where the wires connect to, I was told:

- There are just two wires going into the VFD for power (two hot) and if there is a third wire on the cord, it should not be connected to anything
    - There are four wires (shielded) going from the VFD to the spindle. 3 hot going from u, v, w to u, v, w and one going from ground on the VFD to ground on the spindle

and that is it (assuming the spindle will be controlled by the VFD and not by Mach3 or Linux CNC). Is this not correct? Do I need additional wires going from the cable shielding to a seperate device? Or is there more than one wire from ground on the spindle or ground on the VFD?