587,446 active members*
3,287 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Replacing Spindle motor on stock Sherline

Replacing Spindle motor on stock Sherline

Ok guys I did a search and came up with so much more info then what I expected for replacing the spindle and what not. What I was looking for was a little more power then what I have. I realize the limits of the stock Sherline mill and its just a quick fix till I can save up a little more for something bigger.

I looked at a few places and started to realize, it would be better to ask a question here, then to try and "take" someones word for it that this will work or that will work, when they are trying to sell something to me.

What I would like to have it a almost direct bolt on ( if I have to mod a few items I am fine with that ) replacement motor for the stock Sherline spindle motor.

I pretty much cut 1018 on it and do engravings on stainless ( light engravings , maybe .010 doc ).

My 1018 parts are cut with a 3/16 4 flute carbide at 2.5 ipm , I am guessing my spindle is around 600-800 rpm. I am just using the stock variable speed controller and have it set to the best area that produces a good cut.

I looked at some motors and realize that the weight on them is too great. I am not sure what a stock Sherline motor weighs but thought it might be around 6 lbs or so. If I have time I ll weigh it , unless some one here knows off hand.

I was looking at this motor from Surpluscenter

2.6 HP, 130 VDC
    Motor
    ITEM 10-2436
    $29.99
    • New, ICON Part #M-215393 permanent
    magnet motor. Originally made to power a
    treadmill. CW rotation recommended due
    to shaft threading, motor itself is
    reversible. Would also make an excellent
    DC generator. Lead end of rotor has 0.29˝
    dia. stub shaft for cooling fan (not included)
    for prolonged use. 13˝ long leads with
    female spade terminals.
    SPECIFICATIONS
    • Power 2.6/1.5 HP • Duty treadmill
    • Voltage 130/95 DC • Mount 2 holes in side
    • Amperage 15/11.75 Amps • Shaft 17 mm dia. x 1˝
    • Speed 9200/6900 RPM w/ ½˝-13 x ¾˝
    • Rotation reversible LH threaded end
    (see note above) • Size 4˝ dia. x 6⅞˝ long
    • Enclosure open • Shpg. 10 lbs.

I am not a electrical genius, wiring a new outlet is fine with me. But I hate to get into wiring a new controller , in fact I have a spindle control setup to wire into my control box ( stock sherline controller ) and never did anything with it. I ll try and get the info off of it.

To be honest. With as busy as the shop is right now, I would be willing to pay someone to set it up so that the machine can have spindle speeds controlled by the EMC software/sherline controller, and have the new motor more powerful motor setup on it. I just dont have the time to really spend with it, thats why I was hoping for a more direct bolt on motor. Something to give me a little more umph so I could speed up my feeds some what. I realize the motor listed above is huge hp rating, but I couldn't find anything in the 1 hp range that seemed like it could be a direct bolt on.

So basically in a nut shell, looking for a dc motor I can drop right on and go, or someone that might be interested in taking my stock setup ( motor / controller ) and putting a new motor and add the spindle relay controller setup I have ( it also have a outlet for possible coolant / mister on off ) and get it all setup for me. That way I can keep working and just have it setup and running when it gets back. Keeps me from spending too much time I dont have already with it.

I ve been tempted to get the A2Z cnc monster mill conversion with the Kerk screws, but I am thinking for $1800, I can just hold on to that and put it towards a new Novakon 200 soon. I just need something to tide me over till the end or beginning of next year. And while the current Sherline isnt fast , it does cut what I need it to do , not greatly, but it does work. I just need more reliability and hopefully a little more speed. When I do get another mill, I ll be keeping the Sherline strictly for engraving small items and what not. So I dont have to do it on the larger mill and can just leave it set up and ready to engrave.

Thanks

I would stick to same size motor. Why? Because a bigger sized motor is heavy and your column will no doubt get tweaked from the extra weight.

Yep thats one reason I was checking to see if anyone has replaced the spindle motor and if they did what size. I would love to have a drop in and go more powerful motor, even if it cost a me a little. I dont want to throw too much money at it, but would rather have it good till a new machine comes along. But like I said, it works now, so maybe I ll just leave it.

motor

I used a Seig x2 motor for a while on the Sherline head(different machine, though). It is a little bigger and heavier(had to make a little adapter to mount it), but it also had easily 2x the power and only adds about 2 pounds or so. It also conveniently happens to be the same rpms as the stock Sherline motor - works perfectly with the stock controller. You can also get a lot more grunt out of the stock motor usually by adjusting the IR comp and/or current limit on the controller(prolonged use will get the little Sherline motor hot, but it makes good power if you tweak the settings).
    www.rc-monster.com