587,830 active members*
2,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy RS-232 Connection Miyano w Fanuc OT

Need a little guidance in getting a laptop connected to this machine. Where do I start? I have the "Special" serial cable that Miyano requires with the proper pin to wire arrangement. The basic setup: 9pin female to 25 pin male(machine end). Com 1 on computer. How do make sure the parity, baud rate, etc. are correct on both? Also, do I need a special program to complete the connection? Will Hyperterminal work?

Thanks in advance for any and all help...

051227-1948 EST USA

JerryH:

Define your connections from the 9 pin to 25 pin, and any jumpers on each end.

What is the cable length, kind of cable (like part number, wire size, twisted pairs, shielding), and the maximum baud rate for the Fanuc?

Are you going to DNC (Direct Numerical Control - drip feed)? Are your files large (more than 50 kilobytes)?

You must match parameters at both ends. I would suggest 7 data bits, EVEN parity, and 1 stop bit. Use the highest baud rate possible. This will be limited by the CNC, and/or the RS232 link. Handshake selection may be dependent on your cable wiring, and possible other factors. Dan Fritz may comment on some special Fanuc problems in this area. Dan also has communication software.

If you have Mastercam before X it includes Cimco communication software. Cimco which works well on desktops, but won't work on my Sony FX140 laptop. May be ok on other laptops.

There seem to be reports that Hyperterm may not work well. HAAS tech support has indicated this in some of their web site information.

If you need long cable length, more than 50 ft, then look at our I232 System that provides Electrical Isolation, High Baud Rate, and Long Cable capability. There is other useful RS232 information on our web site www.beta-a2.com .

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH
    Will Hyperterminal work?
    Hyperterminal is a pain, Terminal that came with WIN3.1 is much better, it will run under later Windows, I have set up several Fanucs and Mazaks with it for customers.
    If you don't need to load windows, there is still a few DOS programs that work well like Qmodem and Telix.
    Cadem.com site has the setup, pin out and a free DNC program for most machines.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.