587,089 active members*
2,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > How do you secure your shops?

How do you secure your shops?

This is a question with many answers but I'll ask it anyway.

What is the best method to secure your building? Many folks are getting broken into in my area this year and I'm getting nervous.

I am thinking about putting dead bolt locks on both the knob side and jamb side.

Step 1.
    Install alarm system

Step 2.
    Install Camera. (A fake one will work, but real is much MUCH better)

Step 3
    Post camera /alarm signs everywhere..

Step 4.
    Tell everyone about it and show it off.. If the camera is real, show them than too..

Here's a little story for you...
    I have a camera looking out my front yard.. I've had the camera for 10 years or more.. All my neighbors know about it and even make funny faces sometimes just to goof off.. A few years ago, some kids decided it would be funny to soap everyones cars and toss some toilet paper around.. Nothing serious but they skipped my home!

I even caught one of my neighbors turning my camera slightly so it would cover part of his home too... LOL.. (a good neighbor trying to give me a hint)

Murphy

Excellent topic!

I have yet to get into my commercial building, but already have the wiring run for the cameras. It's an old, 12" block building with heavy steel doors and no windows, so I am thinking it's fairly secure.

My home shop is guarded by dogs - they're not mean, but the bark if they don't know you. Not to mention, I am out there until 2 or 3 in the morning almost every night.

Excellent topic!! I am anxious to hear everyone's stories. Seems like everybody has been a victim of theft at least once - myself included (motorcycles and gear from a trailer).

Scott

Flame throwers. (flame2)
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Java -

How do you keep from catching the building on fire? Are they tied into motion detectors?

Sounds effective. At least the purps would be easy to spot! "Yeah - I saw him running out of the building - he was screaming and hollering...he was wearing an orange shirt, orange pants, an orange hat...."

Scott

What really sucks is if someone does break in and they get hurt they can sue you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aksess
    What really sucks is if someone does break in and they get hurt they can sue you.
    Dead people dont sue....

Murphy

I have thought about many options for my underhouse non walled workshop.
    Electric fence, automatic lights, periscope through my floor with IR capabilty, fake alarm box, cheap toy gun laser beams, and sensors to an alarm.

I used to work in the concert lighting industry and they use products called Maroons.
    These maroons when set of with an electrical charge make the loudest explosive noise I have ever heard. No exageration, these small devices would make your ears bleed if you were standing too close to one. I have thought about having a few of these planted around the workshop, and if i did detect an intruder, instead of haveing to confront him, I just remotely set these off in short bursts one after the other.

But alas, I have no protection under my house. Any one who wants can come and strap my router to thier back and take off with it.
    Being outside the square !!!

mine is in my basement my best protection .... its not fun smiling down a double barrel

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb
    I used to work in the concert lighting industry and they use products called Maroons.
    These maroons when set of with an electrical charge make the loudest explosive noise I have ever heard. No exageration, these small devices would make your ears bleed if you were standing too close to one. I have thought about having a few of these planted around the workshop, and if i did detect an intruder, instead of haveing to confront him, I just remotely set these off in short bursts one after the other.
    Ummm. I can see it now...

3:30am, a lightning storm is brewing over-head... The wife, kids and neighborhood are all sleeping..
    What would happen if they all go off at the same time??
    LOL
    Murphy

I am sure this happens, but have you ever heard of a case going to court? and have you ever heard of them winning? (I think these kind of storys are mostely urban legends). Lawsuits like these are made to prey on your fear of litigation.

In the state of california (the sue happy state) there is a law that says something to the effect: that you can not sue for any injuries recieved during the commission of a crime. Dosn't seam to stop them from suing but it sure gives you lots of ammo when going to court.

Besides I would rather spend every last dime in a law suit than give it to an f#@#@ thieve or criminal!!!

We aught to legalize Lethal alarms like in robocop!!! That would be cool!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

where can I buy these maroons?

secure

I live in town and up late at night. Once a truck came from the park next door and this guy drove through my back yard behind my pole barn at 1:00AM.
    I called cops...cops came looked at tire tracks and said "so what do you want us to do?" I even had a plate number but they just looked at me like I was a complaining "local". I will protect my shop now by myself and NEVER call for help.

It seems that "protect and serve" on the side of the cop car is not for me.
    Last week a kid broke free of handcuffs while INSIDE a the local cop car then took off with the car. Protect my shop? Yea right..I feel sooooo secure.
    "life is short"

Bkukowski,
    In Australia you now need a licence to buy them but some places will still sell them to you without one.
    I have bought them from local theatrical suppliers in the past.
    You need to ask for the ones that go into confetti cannons.
    They have two wires that come out of them, and just need a 9volt batter to set them off. I cant stress enough how loud these are. I have set them off in my front yard and had neighbours race out of thier houses right down the street.
    They are about 20 bucks each but really are worth the 1 second of entertainment.
    http://www.tplpyro.co.uk/maroons.html
    Being outside the square !!!

looked at that site benny the "small" ones are 125db the"big" ones are 150+ db
    if that doesn't make then ears ring somethings wrong sound like fun though

Talking

In the last seven years i got burgled twice, then i have made these...
    Burglar bars from 16mm Y-bar mounted in a from made from 50x10mm flatbar. These frame are bolted to the walls with 6 M16 bolts going right through the wall.....
    These burglar bars are on the inside (windows, shop), the idea is that the alarm would be set off and the reaction unit would arrive before these are cut through, there are some flimsy spanish bars made from 3x40mm angle iron on the outside

Inside my workshop i have made gates from the same Y-bar and 40mm sq tubing with a 3mm wall thickness, every gate has 2 heavy duty pad locks (these high security type you cannot cut with a bolt cutter) to restrict movement once they are inside. I lock away all power tools and the oxy acetylene set torch that could "assist" any burglar of breaking out once they inside.
    I have a "nice" German Shepard coming to "work" with me everyday, going home with me as i am sure he will get poisened if i leave him at the workshop on his own at night.
    I must say i do not get bothered by potential job seekers by day and on my way home he is a nice deterrent for any potential hi jacker......

I do pay more for fuel to transport the bunch of keys for all the locks at my workshop! LOL!

As a precaution i make backup copies of all my data on a removable harddrive if all the above mentioned stuff does not keep them burglars from stealing my pc....
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

I'm thinking about using one of those DC powered linear actuators (look like a hydraulic cylinder) to drive 4 bolts on the inside of the door into a piece of steel lag bolted into the door jamb and supporting studs. I was thinking that this would be easier than putting 4 dead bolts on the door and probably more secure.

One could always hook the actuator up to a latching relay and use one of those car alarm remote to unlock the building, and the device would give it a nice automated bat cave feel.

BAT CAVE! I like it
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Post this message next to the door:

Prior to making unlawful entry, leave next of kin information on door.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

haha
    ---
    router finally being built!
    y axis done!
    hobbycnc controller done!
    ...mounting nsk rails and thk rail. aligning leadscrews