587,431 active members*
3,009 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Help using V19 for engraving Text

Help using V19 for engraving Text

I've got a simple project I need to accomplish, just need to engrave two lines of text 8-10 point Arial. I have V19 but had'nt had the time to learn it yet. Can someone clue me in on how to go about this, generate the G-code where to look in the manual?

The solution is very easy.
    1) Place your text in the correct location
    You can do this by going to "Dimensions" => "Text", input your text and click OK to place it on the screen in the correct location.
    2) Select everything except for the text
    You can do this by deselecting all, then go to "Edit" => "Select", uncheck all but the Tex/Object option and click OK
    3) Select your text
    4) go to "Deminsion" => "Vectorize Text"
    use an accuracy of .0002 for Inch and .002 for millimeters
    5) While the text is still highlighted go to "Other" => "Pocket"
    Select the spiral option and fill out all the required information
    6) Once the toolpath is on the screen open the NC-CAM editor
    7) generate the code as normal

Regards

Thanks! One other question, when I vectorize the text, it creates the tool path around the circumfrence of the text. I'm using a tool bit that is the width of the actual text letters so it need only to follow the actual letter shape as if you were writing as opposed to the outline of the letter (pocketing). How would I make the actual text the pocket in lieu of the text being an isalnd within the pocket? Many thanks!

ETA: I tried taking the dimension of the text and choosing making the tool bit the same width. I played with it some, it seems that most text isn't proportional in widths. I.e. the top horizontal element of the 'T' is not the same width as the vertical element of the 'T'. The tool I intend to use is nothing more than a scribe and I'm attemting to get the mill simply to scribe the text. The operation would be the same as simply cutting a pocket for the text. going to keep trudging on.

OK, I think I figured it out. The Bobcad Font must be used, it is the only "Stick font" in the list.

Create the text by selecting 'Text' in the 'Dimensions' menu, use the Bobcad font.

Once you have created your text, select 'Vectorize Text' from the 'Dimensions menu'

Open the NC menu by clicking on the Insert NC Object icon

Select the tool depth icon in the NC sidebar 'u...d...'

Set your dimensions

From the 'Machine' menu, select 'Auto' and it will generate the NC code for the text.

You may also want to check out 20. They have added I believe 20 different single line fonts. They are only available in 20 because they have added a new font extension to accomodate the new fonts.

Regards