587,421 active members*
3,313 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Looking to prevent a future crash.

Looking to prevent a future crash.

The other day, my trainee was running our TL-25. We had a twin turn bolt on holder with an OD tool on each side. When he used the tool probe to set the offset for the second tool (for facing off in the sub spindle) he forgot to move the cursor down to the right offset number. T202 instead of T222. He knows what to do when touching tools off and restarting the machine but this time for whatever reason he didn't follow procedure and crashed. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to program around this with work shifts or something. So far I've drawn a blank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

idt know for sure if if i'm reading your post right. but from what i'm gathering, you can try this.
    run t202 on g54 then set a g55 for the second operation for that tool. another way which should be "fool proof" would be use a second tool just for that operation (ex. t202 and t303 both using vnmg 433 inserts.)

Quote Originally Posted by dfrey2@rocheste View Post
    The other day, my trainee was running our TL-25. he didn't follow procedure and crashed. What I'm wondering is if there .
    since he's in training the best thing to do is to have someone else there while he sets tools and such .
    also he should be aware that anytime he qualifies a tool he must take the basic precautions to ensure everything is ok , running a machine under the assumption that everything is cool isn't a safe or recommended practice .

we can idiot proof the crap out of things and someone will still screw it up , thats why its necessary to make the employee aware that he must follow proceedure and to pay attention , its also important to make the employee aware of the consequences that are attached to not following proceedure

on the other side , sometimes the employer needs to be understanding about these things , because sometimes Sh!? happens to the best of us
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........