587,547 active members*
2,914 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > How to prevent cutting alumunium from clogging ?

How to prevent cutting alumunium from clogging ?

I use 3mm diameter of tools to cut alumunium with 1mm depth, feedrate 40 (metric)
    I use Sherline mill CNC and Mach3.

what ever I use the feedrate and rpm still give me the clogging.
    that alumunium is the problem, I use liquid for cutting alumn. but no luck.

can anyone share any tips trick for this kind of cutting ?
    this alumn is 5052 or something, not 7075, I have no problem with 7075.

cal

spray a little wd-40 or varsol

What is your spindle RPM and how many flutes does the cutter have?

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

To answer a question you didn't ask, you can remove the aluminum that has welded itself to the tool by soaking it in lye. Add some Drano to a container of water and soak the tool for a few hours. (Don't use an aluminum container.) Wear safety glasses, and follow all precautions on the Drano container. Be careful.

It works like a champ and doesn't damage the tool.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Good advise, Ken.

Trying to dig the AL out of the flutes usually ends up with a damaged end mill or a trip to the doctor.

Scott

WE-40 and/or especially Dexron ATF are quite good for preventing aluminum from adhering to cutting tools and/or carbide burrs during cutting or machining operations. Neither is that caustic either.

Thanks guys,
    I use 4 flutes and 2800 RPM.

I will try WD40 and Drano, what the hell Drano ? anyway... I don;t think I can find the guy name "drano" here in Indonesia but I will google..

so ... I have couple options here, but I try WD40 first since that guy is all over the world.

actually I use special liquid for alumunium to get the cutting better and make the tool life longer, forgot the name.

my conclusion here is it's no problem cutting with 3mm diameter tool with 4 flutes as long as you know how to do it right ?
    I meant clogging is the only problem.

I broke 3 of them

thank you all
    cal

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Thanks guys,
    I use 4 flutes and 2800 RPM....
    If you can get two flute cutters and go much much faster than 2800rpm I would try that. 5052 alloy is very bad for machining; it is too soft so the chips do not cut off nicely they jam up and wedge into the flutes. With a two flute cutter there is more space and they do not jam so easily. Also maybre go with a slower feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    ...I will try WD40 and Drano, what the hell Drano ? anyway... I don;t think I can find the guy name "drano" here in Indonesia but I will google....
    Drano is only to use for getting the aluminum out of the cutter if it is jammed up very tight; do not use Drano on the machine. Drano is a very strong alkali, mostly just Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH). Aluminum will dissolve in a strong alkali but High Speed Steel is not affected. Problem is; skin, muscle and bone will also dissolve in strong alkali so much care is needed.

thank again

cal

You can also use a powerful, directed stream of air to keep the chips from clogging up in the flutes. I think the main problem you are dealing with is chip evacuation.

Scott

I think the number of flutes is your main problem. I have used kerosene for cutting aluminum or a mixture of kero and oil. I have been checking out these vortex tubes and they have differents models that do slightly different things, but the one model can be set to blow compressed air out at -50 degrees all with no moving parts just compressed air. This is something I am checking out so I can't tell you how it will work for your application.

Hilsch (sp?) vortex tubes require lots of air. They are expensive to run (but cheap to buy).
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

don't laugh guys..
    When I have some sticky aluminum, I clamp a ordinary wax candle to the part, and put the length of the candle in the cutter path. But do not let the cutter get to the string. I let it take about 25 % of the diameter. then turn the candle for the next cut (makes the candle into 4 sides eventually).
    The wax makes a superb lubricant and melts and sticks to the cutter.
    When i am deeping a slot, i will rub the slot first with a candle. It stays and will not drain away like some lubricants.
    When cutting Aluminum in the cutoff saw, I clamp a candle in front of the part, and let the saw eat through it on the way down. no messy cleanup, as the wax hardens when cooled.
    Rich
    Collect these jewels after Christmas from the family !

wax

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
    don't laugh guys..
    When I have some sticky aluminum, I clamp a ordinary wax candle to the part, and put the length of the candle in the cutter path. But do not let the cutter get to the string. I let it take about 25 % of the diameter. then turn the candle for the next cut (makes the candle into 4 sides eventually).
    The wax makes a superb lubricant and melts and sticks to the cutter.
    When i am deeping a slot, i will rub the slot first with a candle. It stays and will not drain away like some lubricants.
    When cutting Aluminum in the cutoff saw, I clamp a candle in front of the part, and let the saw eat through it on the way down. no messy cleanup, as the wax hardens when cooled.
    Rich
    Collect these jewels after Christmas from the family !
    Hi I found that wax does the trick as well I make molds by routing out wax blocks for rubber stamps

and found that when I cut alu after it did not clog, by worming the Alu and rubbing the wax on the alu it duz not get blown off by the router and I keep bees so I have plenty