587,760 active members*
2,711 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc APC battery substitute

These are pretty expensive.
    Is there any harm in using ordinary alkaline battery (say, duracell) in a suitable battery case, with the same connector soldered to it?
    Has anybody tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by sinha_nsit View Post
    These are pretty expensive.
    Is there any harm in using ordinary alkaline battery (say, duracell) in a suitable battery case, with the same connector soldered to it?
    Has anybody tried this?
    Hi Sinha,
    As long as you can get the correct voltage, you're good to go. On older Fanuc controls, I replace the the pack of three 1.5v (4.5v total) with a 9v battery regulated to 5v. As it happens, the voltage should be 5v, but the 4v standard pack is within tolerance. I install this in a far more convenient to get at place, so its a big improvement all round.

Regards,

Bill

For APC it should be 6VDC.
    Regards
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexfanuc View Post
    For APC it should be 6VDC.
    Regards
    Alex
    If you're referring to my reference to the 4.5v and 5v, my application is different to that of Sinha's; I was merely pointing out that substitution is possible provided the voltage of the battery is correct.

In my application, the original Fanuc battery was 3 x 1.5v cells connected in Series to provide a sum of the of the voltage of all the cells (4.5v). The actual wiring schematics specified 5v. Accordingly, I made up a small board that contained a 9v battery and a 5v regulator and connected it via the existing wiring. Battery replacement is now via an easily obtained battery.

Regards,

Bill

Done it MANY times over the years. I use the D cell holder that mounts in the door from Fanuc ~$50 us. Cut the pigtails off the lithium battery, solder it on a new cable and attach to the D cell box. Looks factory, you can change the batteries without opening the door, and about 6 bucks a year from then on.

Thanks for information.
    Fanuc India charges ~$50 for battery. The alternate arrangement would not cost even $5.