587,196 active members*
2,851 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Selecting Start Point for Plunge Roughing - V28

Selecting Start Point for Plunge Roughing - V28

Iam doing some experimenting with plunge roughing in V28 and cant seem to modify the start point of the cutter. As you know, most plunge cutters arent center cutting, so I cant just slam the tool into the material.

Any help is appreciated.

-Geoff
    -Geoff Warner
    VegasCarts.com & myVegasCarts.com

Re: Selecting Start Point for Plunge Roughing - V28

Can you use Spiral or Ramp lead in rather than plunging?

hi
    in my experience spiral and compression cutters are noyt designed to plunge but ok to ramp in and out with a lead in and out.
    I have been cncing wood for a number of years now and i always use a standard 2 flute cutter to plunge for a pocket cycle then come in with spiral cuttter to finish it off.
    When roughing a componanant out i always leave .25mm on stock then come in and do a final pass,I hope this helps you

I'm using an MFH Raptor High Feed Mill which is specifically designed to plunge. Look up some videos on YouTube regarding plunge milling....its one of the fastest ways to rough material.

You've both now been enlightened!

Quote Originally Posted by newbie1968 View Post
    hi
    in my experience spiral and compression cutters are noyt designed to plunge but ok to ramp in and out with a lead in and out.
    I have been cncing wood for a number of years now and i always use a standard 2 flute cutter to plunge for a pocket cycle then come in with spiral cuttter to finish it off.
    When roughing a componanant out i always leave .25mm on stock then come in and do a final pass,I hope this helps you
    -Geoff Warner
    VegasCarts.com & myVegasCarts.com

Quote Originally Posted by geoffw View Post
    I'm using an MFH Raptor High Feed Mill which is specifically designed to plunge. Look up some videos on YouTube regarding plunge milling....its one of the fastest ways to rough material.

Not by your first post where you didn't bother to mention that though! ;-)

As you know, most plunge cutters arent center cutting, so I cant just slam the tool into the material.
    -Geoff
    It's easy to be smart about information you don't furnish to those you are expecting to help, why say you can't when you subsequently state you are using a tool which specifically can? Now you too have been enlightened! :P

The plunge roughing feature is a raster, simple planar strategy. Your control is a directional control called setting the lace angle, which will determine in which direction it rasters....

But a plunge rough is a plunge! there is no concern for plunging a tool into material in a plunge rough? What's the point!

You can set a peck amount.....

If you cant have the surface extended to then use a boundary to control where the first plunge occurs,(The first plunge becomes the full bit) you will need to add an operation to that area to remove the material another way....

You can add a planar surface to the geometry selection to extend the plunge out of the boundary half the tool distance (since it computes at tip)... That will allow the plunge to "nibble" into the rough....

WOW,,,,I have been doing 4140 all wrong