587,657 active members*
3,373 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stooopid Question about Spindle speed

Hello all,

I have a Bridgeport Series 1 boss 6, V-ram mill that has air speed control... and no air compressor. I don't have room for one, or the patience to listen to a compressor turn off and on constantly. I'd like to remove the air motor and worm drive and mount a knob on the right side of the speed control unit. Has anyone done that already and had success with it, or is that a simplistic view of how to get what I want? I'll probably eventually go with a VFD drive for speed control, but I'm not ready for that yet.

The other question that I had is about the gearchange knob on the side of the head. Are the high and low speed positions back-gears, while neutral is driven through the belt? I can only get the spindle to run in neutral, it doesn't even try in low or high. Is this normal? Any ideas?? Thanks!

Ian

Bridgeport vari-speed

I'm certain someone with more experience will give you a definitive answer. From my own casual observations on Bridgeports and other early cnc mills with speed control, it was often achieved by simple replacement of the handwheel with an air or electric motor to achieve speed changes.

A Boss 6 should be of this era/generation. You should be able to locate a vari-speed manual adjuster, if no where else on eBay, that will bolt in place.

Good luck, although I'm certain that you will get just the answer you are looking for from this board.

lo-neutral-hi

Didn't notice part II.

The center neutral position shouldn't move the spindle at all even with motor running. Sounds as though you might need to adjust the neutral gate on your lever/selector, or as on mine the piece is completely missing, you may also need to readjust the lever's angular position in relationship to lo/hi engagement so that the selector pin engages when the drive engages

Again, I'm certain someone more experienced and well versed may better help you, but this may be enough if you take a second look at yours.

Yes you can remove the air motor for the speed control and add a knob.

Check to make sure the spindle brake is NOT on and holding the spindle from starting. It may be frozen in the on position.

(;-) TP