587,553 active members*
3,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How do I know what I have is correct?

Hello all. Does anyone have a set of plans with all the latest changes or updates all in one place???

A friend downloaded the plans for the Joe's 2006 and cut me all the parts. I followed the plans for building but kept running into problems with parts or hardware that had been changed. Only having time at night to work on this, it took me months to build because I had to keep re-doing parts. I now have almost everything assembled with the exception of the motors, lead screws and electronics, but I still keep coming across changes people have made! Now I'm not sure if what I have is correct or current. I'm really confused!!! The "backlash" topic is really confusing me.

I know there is a lot of good info scattered around in the forum, but searching through it is impossible. Any help would be great.

Not knowing specifically what you have changed/upgraded, I would suggest you take the time to go thru the thread about mods/upgrades here on CNCZone. here is a link to the thread

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/joes_c...2006_mods.html

You have probably done most of the changes already but the details are in the threads. I went thru it with a notepad and jotted down the things I wanted to do. I actually purchased an assembled kit and then went backwards to see what mods were needed or I wanted. Didn't take that much time. Probably the biggest is the possible upgrade to different Acme screws to help reduce the rpm and 'whip' on the X axis. The Joe's 2006 will work well as originally designed and the mods/upgrades can all be retro fitted in the future if needed.

Happy Holidays
    Don

Thanks Don. I guess what I'm really stuck on the most is the electronics and the backlash stuff. I can always make adjustments after it's finally up and running. I'm about to order a Pro Kit from Hobby CNC, but I don't know what else I need. Am I correct in saying that the R-2 plans don't show any of this stuff? Am I missing some major parts of the plans or something?

As far as the electronics, the HobbyCNC kits with the large motors should work fine, I have used them on a couple other CNC machines and they have worked well. You do understand you need to build/solder the kits for the controller? I use a Gecko 540 on my Joes 2006 and it works well. I don't think the electronics are shown on the plans since everyone chooses their own.

As far as the backlash is concerned, that is a matter of adjustment after assembly. You can adjust the backlash using the normal contruction. Others have added springs, etc, to help put tension on the Acme screws, I don't use anything but the original constuction technique. One thing that does seem to be a big benefit is going to lower TPI (threads per inch) multi-start Acme screws which basically lets you get faster movement of the cutting head at lower rpms on the Acme screws. If you do that, you will use a different backlash arrangement but that is covered in the Mods thread. There are also a couple videos listed in the Mods thread that are well worth watching, describing addln things that can be done to the Joes 2006 to increase the gantry rigidity. The mods are very simple and can be done to existing machines with little effort.

Don

Thanks Don, I appreciate your help again. Yes, I am aware that you need to build/solder the controller.

The controller is easy to solder up, just take your time and make sure you follow the instructions.

Here are links to 2 videos on upgrade tips, good tips.....

Joe2006 Machine Updates Part II

Joe2006 Machine Updates Part II