587,877 active members*
4,274 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

nook ballnuts

For those of you who have converted to CNC using the nook ballnuts from homeshopcnc, can someone sell me their 15/16" (0.9375) 16TPI tap for screwing in the ballnuts? I don't have much experience with internal thread cutting on a lathe so I don't want to waste time on it. Thanks

wholesale tool carries it, if you want to buy it new. they aren't that expensive. i don't want to give mine up but i'll tap your parts for you if you want to send me the peices.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

the new nut they carry at homeshopcnc a pretty expensive compared to the one they had before i was checking with them the other day to get two one for the x and one for the y here is the price i got from them

Screw stock: $1.89/in
    Ballnut: $95/ea
    Fixed end support: $120/ea
    Free end support: $55/ea
    Standard end machining for fixed end: $85
    End machining for free end: $25

so if you want double ballnut your allready at 400$ just for the nut
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Check e-bay. I got mine for about 20 bucks delivered. Take the delivery time to figure out how to tap that big hole square in all directions and on center.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ataxy View Post
    the new nut they carry at homeshopcnc a pretty expensive compared to the one they had before i was checking with them the other day to get two one for the x and one for the y here is the price i got from them

Screw stock: $1.89/in
    Ballnut: $95/ea
    Fixed end support: $120/ea
    Free end support: $55/ea
    Standard end machining for fixed end: $85
    End machining for free end: $25

so if you want double ballnut your allready at 400$ just for the nut

Ataxy,

The specs on the new line looks like metric 1605. Do you know if that is correct?

Also he has the accuracy as 0.0018"/inch, that would be 0.021"/foot? Is that right or is it supposed to be 0.0018"/foot?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by acondit View Post
    Ataxy,

The specs on the new line looks like metric 1605. Do you know if that is correct?

Also he has the accuracy as 0.0018"/inch, that would be 0.021"/foot? Is that right or is it supposed to be 0.0018"/foot?

Alan
    yep there metric humm it must be 0.0018 or else accuracy would be pretty bad
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

hmm, didn't realize how cheap it is. I will just buy it. Thanks for the offer though, Runner4404spd.

Quote Originally Posted by fatal-exception View Post
    Check e-bay. I got mine for about 20 bucks delivered. Take the delivery time to figure out how to tap that big hole square in all directions and on center.

Paul
    I'm no expert on a lathe but another site had a new person with a lathe recommending cutting 1/2 depth threads on the lathe. Then finishing with a tap... That method gave him good results or so the post said.

I know most experienced lathe people cut threads with no tap to chase the threads. I figure I will practice on scrap until I get the results I want.

I was just going to hold the tap on the tailstock, but I now that I think about it, the tailstock is probably not dead on center. Half tapping the threads on the lathe sounds like a good idea, since the hardest and most time consuming part is finishing the threads because you have to go a few thou at a time for the last bit and try to fit your part in after each pass.

On the Y-axis of the x3, a small missallignment isn't a big deal since the ballscrew is supported only at one end. But a missalignment in the X or Z might cause the ballnut to seize near the ends of its travel when the room for deflection of the ballscrew is small and also cause premature wear on the balls.

I have three flange nuts for the Nook ballnuts that I won't be needing. I'll sell them for $6 each (+shipping&paypal fee). PM me if you're interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BallNutFlange-640x449.jpg  

are the thread 15/16

Quote Originally Posted by ataxy View Post
    are the thread 15/16
    yes. They're made for the 5/8" Nooks and Rotons everyone is using the these days. FYI the machining on them is very nice. They came from Widgitmaster on this forum.

I just ordered and received my Nook screws and nuts for my X3 conversion - very courteous and quick service for the little guy. I have the tap - just picked it up local today (got a great tool house [T&S Tool & Supply Co.] that I like to support whenever I can afford to) for about $40. Just getting started on my machining to make the conversion.

I need to take more pics to be able to do a conversion thread when I get time. Thankfully my brother has a nice hydraulic feed drop saw at work that I was able to cut my bulk stock down there otherwise I think I'd still be in the garage using my portable bandsaw to cut them down.

If you're worried about tapping the blocks, you can order the Nook flanges and machine them to fit your application.

HI guys,

I know this is an old thread but can anyone confirm this is the 15/16" (16 Tpi) tap I need to cut thread my nook ballnut. The ballnut is for a 5/8" ballscrew from Homeshopcnc and cncfusion.

Thanks.

Alex

It should be - last I checked that was the thread all the 5/8" SRT nuts Nook was offering used. I know it's what my SBN10325 (IIRC the part #) nuts used. It really depends on the part number of the nut you got - the Nook ballscrew catalog is available as a PDF on their website if you need to double check the ballnut part number and it's specifications.
    Every day is a learning process, whether you remember yesterday or not is the hard part.
    www.distinctperspectives.com

15/16-16 is the correct tap for 5/8 nook ballscrew nuts. You might want to check e-bay too. I got one for 18 bucks.

Paul

Hi guys,

Thanks a bunch. I checked out ebay and they are selling for 17.50. Will be getting that.

Alex

Got my taps and found out there are several ways to cut the thread or roll the thread. I got the rolled tap instead of the cut. I guess its easier to roll tap rather than cut. Just need to get it aligned perpendicular to the ballscrew.