587,223 active members*
3,265 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Need some help programming a .750 radius

Need some help programming a .750 radius

Total newbie to Lathe programming, please excuse my ignorance flame away!

I need to cut a radius in the middle of my tubing roller dies to roll 3/4 tubing, see the attached PDF. I want to know what tool is the best to use, I have a .125 radius grooving tool or should I be using left and a right triangle tools and making 2 seperate programs, cutting one side of the radius at a time. I'm thinking that even if I use a 35 deg triangle there is no way to cut the radius in one program unless it is a neutral hand holder?

Not sure how to program this either, totally new to this as well as compound cycles. Could someone provide a compound cycle for this?

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Normal OD 80° turning tool for the facing and OD turning

Full radius grooving tool to rough and finish the 3/8" rad

hint--program the grooving tool to use the centre of the 1/8" rad
    and on your drawing, offset the blue line by 1/8" (outward ) to give the path that the 1/8" rad centre point would follow for finishing, the roughing passes would stay outside this area

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Normal OD 80° turning tool for the facing and OD turning

Full radius grooving tool to rough and finish the 3/8" rad

hint--program the grooving tool to use the centre of the 1/8" rad
    and on your drawing, offset the blue line by 1/8" (outward ) to give the path that the 1/8" rad centre point would follow for finishing, the roughing passes would stay outside this area
    I agree 100%

I understand the offset but beyond that I have not learned how to create multiple pass canned cycles yet. I went to my NOT SO trusty Bobcad and came up with this program....it has a few flaws, can you guys take a look?

N10 ( FILE .385 RADIUS GROOVE.NC SL25-MC WED. 02/09/2011)
    (JOB 0 GROOVE CYCLE )
    (TOOL #3 .250 RADIUS ROUND INSERT)
    G30 U0 W0
    G0 G54 G97 S664 T0301 M03 Errored due to G54
    G50 S800
    G0 X20.Z20.
    X2.875 Z-1.4858 M08
    G96 S500
    G75 X1.399 Z-.6878 I0. K.025 F.01 Errored here for the G75
    G97
    G30 U0 W0
    M1
    N20
    (JOB 0 GROOVE CYCLE )
    (TOOL #3 0.250 RADIUS ROUND INSERT )
    G0 X2.875 Z-.6392
    G3 X2.798 Z-.6878 R.05 F.01 Caused 452 Alarm-B data word arc cal
    G2 Z-1.4372 R.385
    G0 X2.875 Z-1.4858
    G2 X2.798 Z-1.4372 R.05
    G0 X20.Z20.
    M2

NJC,

Looks like your post processor needs to be edited. I've attached the post that I use for my Okuma lathe. I still end up doing a little hand coding afterward. Always a good idea to check the code anyway.

Not sure how to help on the G75 code. I typically don't use the canned cycles other than threading. However I have changed quite a few things in my post so it may output what you need.

Oh, by the way, if you haven't used the Okuma graphic function, you really should. It's pretty basic but will help you spot trouble areas. Use MACHINE LOCK before pressing the START button!

Nate
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by nlh View Post
    NJC,

Looks like your post processor needs to be edited. I've attached the post that I use for my Okuma lathe. I still end up doing a little hand coding afterward. Always a good idea to check the code anyway.

Not sure how to help on the G75 code. I typically don't use the canned cycles other than threading. However I have changed quite a few things in my post so it may output what you need.

Oh, by the way, if you haven't used the Okuma graphic function, you really should. It's pretty basic but will help you spot trouble areas. Use MACHINE LOCK before pressing the START button!

Nate
    Nate, is this post for Bobcam? Yep, I have used the graphics, helps out alot, I always test in dry run first, then just machine lock and finally in single line with the feedrate set real low, works great! BTW, my machine usually works just fine if I use it in single block with the feedrate set at a slower rate than the normal rapids, still errors sometimes but much less often.

Thanks again, really appreciate the help!

Scott

Yes, this is a Bobcad post. V23.

Concerning dry run. I don't use it. At first I tried running the machine like my other machines with dry run and single block on. This worked OK, but not like anything else I have with a Yasnac or Fanuc control. On the Okuma SB does both of these functions.

Here's what I do.

Run the program in graphic mode w/ machine lock ON. Make changes as needed until graphic looks right.

Single block on, machine lock off, slowly bring tool down to clearance distance. This will tell you if the offsets are way off.

Then if graphic was looking good and tool is where it's supposed to be, single block off, coolant on, feedrate to 100% and push cycle start.

I also use an optional stop before each tool change so I can bring each tool down slowly until the program is run through once or twice.

A note about DRY RUN. If you try to use it with single block and bring your tool down to your part, then turn DR off, it will restart the program and you'll have to do it over again.

Nate

NJC,

You're getting an error for the G75 line because you need to precede a G75/G76 with a G1. Same when it erred on the G3 command...need a G1 leading into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Voss_Machine View Post
    NJC,

You're getting an error for the G75 line because you need to precede a G75/G76 with a G1. Same when it erred on the G3 command...need a G1 leading into that.

Interesting...I'll give that a try and report back!