587,383 active members*
3,000 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Paint Recommendation

I built a steel bench with a steel pan (for flood coolant containment) for my benchtop mill and it is going to need a paint job. Also I bought a used lathe on Ebay which will also need a restoration paint job in the near future as well.

What is everyone using for the type of paint for their equipment (cast iron and steel parts)? that is flood coolant resistant?

I was thinking of using a one part epoxy paint. Would this be a good choice? The stuff goes for $50 to $80 a gallon, so I only want to use it if it is the right choice.

Your input is appreciated,
    Chris

Spray on Truck Bedliner might be a good thing for the Pan, It's pretty much resistant to everything... And might offer you some sound deadening to keep the pan from amplifying the mill noise if it's a big pan. For the bench, just about any paint would work. Just use a good primer under it if you want to make sure the paint doesn't chip off every time you bang it. Hammer tone paint is a good tough paint that doesn't need a primer. And of course Epoxy based appliance paint is tough stuff too.
    Nathan

Thanks Anoel.

The bedliner for the pan sounds pretty good. I am wondering if you are talking about the material that can be purchased at the automative stores. I did have my pickup truck liner sprayed on professionally with the Line-X product and have to say it is holding up nicely. Very durable.

What is everyone using to recondition their mills and lathes with? I have seen some sites use body filler to fill in all the nicks and dents on the castings but I haven't seen what they are using for paint. If everyone using just an enamel paint?

Any more suggestions?

Chris

Chris,
    I have had a lot of experience with spray can paint, I settled on Rustoleum brand, they have exceptional spray characteristics, high quality and enough types to meet most any need. BTW, Lowes carries it.
    That is not at all to say there are not other quality spray can paints, that is just what I found to be superior.

EDIT:
    Epoxy based would be my choice.
    Any color but Gray

Just finished cleaning up an old Gisholt #3 lathe, washed with varsol, pressure washed, body filler [Canadian Tire regular auto stuff], and painted the main part with Charcoal Grey hammertone paint, 1 litre , also on sale at CT for <10$...Bottom pedestal and tray got some kind of leftover Tower brand acrlic enamel.. nice bright orange colour..

worked surpisingly well..