587,691 active members*
3,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: X4 travels

X4 travels

I am seriously considering getting one of these for a starter/learning machine. I have searched on here and can only find info on the Z axis. So what are the real life travel on the x,y and z axis?

Also, another noob question, what seems to be the best software that will work with this machine? i was thinking of buying the Mastercam X3 if i could ever get them to contact me about the price and functions. If i am heading down the wrong road please fill me in. I am not very familiar with many cam/cad programs (especially 3/4 axis).

Thanks
    Brad

check the post i made it will answer all your question and sort of what to expect
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66580

and check this thread it also help new owner with the gibs of the z axis

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65105

one final note the machine itself is good but when you will get it i highly suggest you go true it as, at least with mine, needed some fine tunning

as for software, syil recommends mach3 and its the most knowned and used controller in this class of machine there is also emc2 if you want, but you will have to learn to use linux, as for mastercam unless you are rich i would look somewhere else as it will cost you as much as the mill itself for an entry package
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

thanks for the info. I didnt think mastercam would be that exspensive. I was thinking maybe $2000. i will have to look into the mach3. can you download a demo from there website?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turbogsx750r View Post
    thanks for the info. I didnt think mastercam would be that exspensive. I was thinking maybe $2000. i will have to look into the mach3. can you download a demo from there website?

thanks
    yes you can download a demo but its limited to 500 line of gcode as for a cam package there are a few that are not as expensive as mastercam but most of them if you want full 3d toolpath with 4th axis capacity will cost you a bit
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne