Quote Originally Posted by totalhack View Post
Thanks everybody for their feedback and information I really appreciate all of the different thoughts and ideas. At this point I think I am going to opt for using 5C collet blocks like the ones mentioned by TurboStep. Initially I was going to use the machinable mitee bite clamps and just make a fixture plate but at nearly $23 per clamp I think I would be better off spending an extra $5 each and making a fixture plate to locate individual collet blocks. My goal was to be able to machine 20+ plus parts per run and I should be able to fit that many collet blocks into the work envelope of the Tormach.

The down side I see to using collet blocks mounted into a fixture plate instead of just clamping the parts in directly is now I will have two steps involved to flip the parts. Instead of just loosening a clamp and flipping the part I will now have to loosen a clamp, remove the collet block then loosen the collet in the block, flip the part and re-tighten the collet then re-clamp the block back into the fixture plate. My thinking is that although it will take longer to flip all the parts and re-clamp the blocks I will save money in the future by having more sizing options available to me.

I quickly made a model in SolidWorks of the general idea I have going in my head. There is a base fixture plate with multiple 5C collet blocks held down using standard non machinable pitbull clamps which I already have and the round protrusions out of the top represents the stock that is to be machined. I'm thinking I could even use emergency collets in the blocks so that I could machine in a set depth just to make setup easier. Am I doing anything wrong if I go with this type of setup?
Attachment 232916Attachment 232918
Your idea looks like a good one, but I see one or two huge problems with it.

1. You will have to remove the blocks to change parts.

2. Holding your collet blocks with that much above the Pit Bull clamp, leverage will come into play and you could rip the blocks out of the fixture.

I think I would take the time to design and build a fixture that would hold the parts as short as possible.