587,246 active members*
2,922 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Upgrading a Bridgeport Series I CNC

I am considering getting a Series I CNC and was wondering what it would take to replace the current Bandit controller with a more modern controller and software. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Ken

browse through the forum, several have done it. vince's conversion is on the first page. Send Hillbilly a PM, he has a lot of experience with converting these machines.

Matt

Depends upon what you need to do. If you are going to be cutting 2 to 2.5 D shapes then it might not be worth the investment.
    If the current controller works well and does not fry the resistors every time you turn around you might be able to live the limited capabilities of the older BOSS-type systems. I run a BOSS 5 series I and have no problems with it. Old and crude but it works well. Cut a few 3D shapes with curved surfaces but it is a pain to break up the progam in logical chucks because of limited BOSS memory.
    If you have the money or a business, by all accounts do it, but do not go cheap. It will catch up with you.
    I also run a Hurco VM1 and a Sherline CNC. It all depends upon what I need to cut and the complexity of the job and availability of machine time. The BOSS sees more of the simplistic CNC jobs.
    Maybe you should find the limits of the current machine to see what you can or can't do. Then decide what to do if the machine cannot perform as needed. If you are relying upon it for business it is a no brainer.

mc_n_g

Thanks for your help.

check out the hillbilly bob upgrade. $80 and worlds of help along with mach3 gives you a very nice setup compared to the original controller.