586,969 active members*
3,075 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Spindle fail

Hybrid View

Re: Spindle fail

Hi,

Actually I unplugged it always when the VFD was not in run mode, I never unplugged it while running even if 0Hz. Also I solved the problem with the 25Hz thing: a disconnected jumper on the board. I noticed it when I gave a punch to the chassis of the VFD for frustration and the spindle started to spin, this made me understand that there was something "mechanical" not working well.

Now I still have to understand why in the first place the spindle stalled during operation; I don't really thing this is related to the jumper.

The only thing that come to my mind is that once for about 20 minutes the spindle worked with the watercooling radiator off and it was pretty hot but still touchable (water was hot but flowing).

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanoPrato View Post
    Hi,

Actually I unplugged it always when the VFD was not in run mode, I never unplugged it while running even if 0Hz. Also I solved the problem with the 25Hz thing: a disconnected jumper on the board. I noticed it when I gave a punch to the chassis of the VFD for frustration and the spindle started to spin, this made me understand that there was something "mechanical" not working well.

Now I still have to understand why in the first place the spindle stalled during operation; I don't really thing this is related to the jumper.

The only thing that come to my mind is that once for about 20 minutes the spindle worked with the water cooling radiator off and it was pretty hot but still touchable (water was hot but flowing).

Thanks for the reply.
    No you never had a minimum safe speed set, if you have a minimum speed set, then the spindle will never run below that Parameter setting

You can not Plug or unplug a VFD Drive at any time this can cause damage, VFD Drives need to be power up by a Switch / Breaker or Contactor, it should never be power up by plugging it in

Most good manuals will have this in them
    Mactec54

The VFD came with a good manual regardless of chinese reputation, I probably failed to read that passage. Actually I just bought what I'm pretty sure is a breaker. In Italian we call them "interruttori magnetotermici" which translated in English is "magnetothermal; I think is what you call "breaker".

Actually I have repeated this process of unplugging the VFD many times so if this is really a source of problem it may be the culprit for the fail.

Thanks for the hint.