586,922 active members*
3,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: 13x40 Jet Lathe CNC conversion with vfd

Update:

I made some progress with the x axis. I mounted and aligned the ballscrew and the new riser plate. I was concerned whether there would be any binding. After aligning with my test indicator, I tightened up my dovetail, then torqued all of the screws holding he riser plate to the x axis, the ballscrew and mounts. I hooked up my test indicator and couldn't get it to move, everything is extremely solid. Next I hooked up my drill to check movement. Here is a short video moving the x axis over its full range:

Finally, I drilled and tapped the timing pulley and mounted it. The axis moves smoothly and without binding using the drill and by hand.

I am using a 15 and 25 tooth "L" timing gear setup.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pulleys.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	238198

I will probably get a shorter belt to keep the axis more compact. The belt was a left over from the mill conversion.

Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
    Update:

I made some progress with the x axis. I mounted and aligned the ballscrew and the new riser plate. I was concerned whether there would be any binding. After aligning with my test indicator, I tightened up my dovetail, then torqued all of the screws holding he riser plate to the x axis, the ballscrew and mounts. I hooked up my test indicator and couldn't get it to move, everything is extremely solid. Next I hooked up my drill to check movement. Here is a short video moving the x axis over its full range:

Finally, I drilled and tapped the timing pulley and mounted it. The axis moves smoothly and without binding using the drill and by hand.

I am using a 15 and 25 tooth "L" timing gear setup.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pulleys.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	238198

I will probably get a shorter belt to keep the axis more compact. The belt was a left over from the mill conversion.

Thanks for looking
    Looking good.will you have css? Are you using modbus? What sotware are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by charlieslasher View Post
    Looking good.will you have css? Are you using modbus? What sotware are you using?
    I am going to use Mach3 with DMM Tech servos. I used these with an Ethernet smooth stepper on the PM45 conversion. This has proven to be reliable on the mill and I will have one less thing to learn: P

I would like to do constant surface speed- any suggestions on running it on Mach 3 would be appreciated, as well as affordable cam if it exists. I haven't used Modbus yet but am looking into it for when I get a turret setup.