587,611 active members*
3,727 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Visual Basic > Using VB as a G-Code debugger / editor

Using VB as a G-Code debugger / editor

Hi to you all,
    I am just starting on this forum and have a number of CNC machines to look after. One of my probelms is that i do not like the interface for the programs, particularly as I am used to programming in vb. I have written a small vb program to explode a G-Code program so that all the subprograms it uses are automatically inserted as full text into one big program. This allows me to step through the programs and trace errors easier.

However, I am now trying to write a program in vb that steps through the G-code and that traces parameter/variable values as the current CNC editor does not so this and only steps through the actual machine operations. Any ideas on how? or are there programs that already do this that I can pick up for free?

I just really & truly know nothing about programing, and I am not sure what it is your really after here. It sounds like you want a program that will tell you when your G-code is perfect. I don't know if there is such thing but I am wandering what your trying to avoid with making this new program. Of course like I said I don't know much about programing, or using CNC type software as far as that goes, so forgive me if I got it all wrong on your intentions.

It almost sounds like you need a better CAM program to work with your machines. But the reason I posted was to let you know there is a CNC controller out that uses (or even built) with VB and something about the interface existing as a com control. The source code is released so that you can do what you want with the controller. IDK what kinda machine or controllers your running but it might be worth looking into the CNC Brain(the controller I am referring to) because it might just help you build/integrate what ever it is your really needing.

Hope this helps, Jess