587,086 active members*
3,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can anyone offer advice

Hi,

Going to try and put together a laser engraver but need advice on the driver side.

I have a 3 axis router for the motion. The x axis is driven by two steppers

the motors on the machine read (but the z axis is a smaller one but 4 motors in all)
    sanyo denki
    DC 3A
    1.8 DEG
    type - 103H7126-0740

I have a 25 watt co2 laser tube, power supply(it has TH,TL,WP,G,IN,5V on the back), mirrors and optics going to run it on mach3

Question is what driver card to buy? and should I get a new set of motors?
    Being doing cad to cam for years but this is my first build, probably in at the deep end but more fun that way
    Thanks in advance
    Jim

Hi Jim,

I would suggest http://www.routoutcnc.com , each axis has it's own board so you can buy a X/X/Y set and use the breakout board for the laser control.

I don't really like the 2 motor approach, usually seen on the Y-axis but either way you'll connect each motor to it's own driver board and then have the same step/dir input to the driver. The motors will do just fine if suited to the XY table.

Flying optic lasers generally require a difference setup to a CNC router, although you can use a router base for a laser setup. The laser is more suited to a low mass (quicker acceleration), fast speed system as it doesn't have a heavy router spindle to carry around or need the torque to drive end mills into a workpiece. Generally routers are best built with leadscrews or heavy rack/pinion drivers whereas lasers are more suited to belt drives.

Like I said, it'll work, but isn't optimum. If you already have it, go with it

Zax.

Cheers Zax

thanks for the advice :O)
    Just looking to get things up and running then I'll maybe tackle building a specific laser table.
    Got a good background in welding and metal fab so I'm trying the electronics side first as that's the bit I'm weak on.

Thanks again
    Jim