587,168 active members*
3,285 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > Newbie has been studying and thinking on 1st project

Newbie has been studying and thinking on 1st project

So I have been reading every second I got consistantly for the last 2 weeks, and am trying to follow up on my studies at CNC zone from 5 years ago when i first perked a interest. My studies on a 4 axis 3d printer is inspiring me to take a desktop mill drill that I am sourcing and turn it into a cnc machine at first to help me build some stuff and then later upgrade to a 3d printer with a possible tapper attachment. but as everything I wish to rumage threw my knowledge and see if anyone has any inspiring ideas.

I have found out that since I have a small desktop computer running windows 64 bit i cannot install Mach 3 very easily or atleast not without running into problems and installing a parallel card is difficult to find. I have also found out that being my main computer is not good for expirementing because back volts when miswiring is probably what frying everyones old computers. so as a efficient alternative I was thinking of using this. http://www.robotshop.com/ca/producti...-17&lang=en-US There isn't much support for it yet but it seems like people are buying it for obvious reasons and the price is very decent. its also alot easier then my previous thought on using a netduino go and a gfi parallel port or just using a gadgeteer. considering it hasnt been expiremented with I dont wanna try to break new ground and loosing my hard earned money. cause the price difference is nothing saved for sure. but later would like to expirement.

now using this little beautiful looking computer I need to go off into a break out board and drivers that are mach 3 friendly im reading that the TB6560 has problems but this doesnt look like the regulars so this is where im stuck they say there are others that have been proven in other threads here and am wanting opinions on power supply / driver / breakout board that not only cost effective but proven 4 axis would work but 5 would be GREAT as I want this project to beable to be open to other ideas in the future. Im looking into the < then 200 or < price range.

as this will be a basic concept to start building things relatively quickley from months to a year I wish to use it to build bigger machines to do more industrial and complex work as I have a large lathe in my gargage back home where i will move back into in the furure and convert. I wish to have a larger sized mill that wont cost me 20000 + dollars and I want it to be delta, and I want the delta to be fitted with a extruder, and be open concept with being able to fit it as use as a sandcaster / 3d printer / mill / possible 3d printer with a migwelder.

Any electronics that I wish to use that i will have to create in the possible furure are netduino because I wish to learn the .net framework because I have past experience, but forgotten in C++ and Visual basic. that set aside this will only have to be used as a extruder i beleive I have been following on http://store.gnexlab.com/product.php?id_product=29 and concept seems simple its only either build or buy and it seems as if the buy option is unavailable.

As also Im thinking that a extruder is also the same as a mig welder. u have a wip with a tube, a motor that feeds the wire, wich could be plastic and the ceramic between the .25 - .40 tip that disipates the heat. y not find a old mig with a burnt out transformer, or a old wip ( i think i know of one) and convert it with a stepper motor?

im looking for motors drivers breakout board solution and power supply that will be reliable and cost effective. I wish to order in the next month or so

If you don't mind a DIY solution, (can handle a soldering iron) then have a look here for a description of versatile and good BOB's:
    http://users.skynet.be/ldt/CNC%20ele...ut_boards.html

You don't mention wich stepper motors or spec's you will need, here's a link to a DIY drive (4Amp and 40Vdc) wich has proven to be very reliable and cheap:
    http://users.skynet.be/ldt/CNC%20ele...THB6064AH.html

A set of the above will even match your price range :-)

Sweet now its a toss up between this and the linistepper for ease of use and basics... the linnistepper has no need for a break out board. but the th handles more power and is bipolar and unipolar as the linistepper is unipolar only... gotta come up with more definate plans.