587,698 active members*
3,319 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > X4+ slideway surface quality - Missing finish grind on vert post

X4+ slideway surface quality - Missing finish grind on vert post

Has anyone else gotten a vertical post which wasn't finish ground on the gib side of their dovetail?

I've been fitting a custom gib and lo and behold I found that the inside surface of my dovetail wasn't finish ground on the gib side of the vertical slideway. Blew my mind. The fixed saddle side is a nice smooth finish, but my gib side has a rough milled finish with no finish grind. To top it off it's got a 0.009" taper from end to end on the slideway which means I can't get a good gib adjustment without binding or slop on one end.

I measured the taper by measuring the gap outside a pair of 0.500" dowel pins resting in the taper so they register against the important surfaces.

that was frist shipment to CANADA case.currently we check every gib before load,so if any canada customer have same problem,we free to sent the gib to adjust..
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

I got a replacement gib, but I didn't find it to be very well made so I started on making my own bronze wear plate stock. While fitting my custom gib, I found that the dovetail on the post had a much better surface on the opposite side of the gib, but the gib surface on the vertical post was not surface ground. It had a rough milled surface which wasn't parallel to the other side. If I adjust my gib to be slop free at the top of my post, I get binding at the bottom of the post because my post is tapered by 0.009" (0.23mm). 0.009" is pretty far out. It'll take a lot of work to bring down the taper while keeping the dovetail planar.

Quote Originally Posted by syil View Post
    that was frist shipment to CANADA case.currently we check every gib before load,so if any canada customer have same problem,we free to sent the gib to adjust..
    YO-BRO,
    Wrong way around- on the first shipment, be sure everything is perfect- then when you've got them hooked ship all the junk.
    Gibs aren't going to solve this- the customer will need to remove the saddle and either hand stone it or send it out for grinding.

not very many,only a few,around 2~3pcs.sharpshooter90 you better help others,no need everytime blame us.
    it was 2006 end of year cases.we have been update and check since that time.
    forum need help not every day complain...

Quote Originally Posted by syil View Post
    no need everytime blame us.
    Then blame who?

Chill guys. The purpose of this post is to see if X4 owners are observing a poor finish in a specific area.

Slagging Syil for what could be a sporadic issue isn't really called for and doesn't help much. That's not to say I'm not annoyed with this issue. I'd just like to find out if I should start trying to fit my existing post with a couple days of blueing and scraping or if I should ask to trade in my post. If other X4 owners take a look at their post and find that both sides of the post are finish ground, I'll get my post replaced. If everyone is having this issue, then a bit of *****ing is warranted, but then Syil can fix something really important.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Chill guys. The purpose of this post is to see if X4 owners are observing a poor finish in a specific area.

Slagging Syil for what could be a sporadic issue isn't really called for and doesn't help much. That's not to say I'm not annoyed with this issue. I'd just like to find out if I should start trying to fit my existing post with a couple days of blueing and scraping or if I should ask to trade in my post. If other X4 owners take a look at their post and find that both sides of the post are finish ground, I'll get my post replaced. If everyone is having this issue, then a bit of *****ing is warranted, but then Syil can fix something really important.
    i just a little upset sharpshooter90...
    this issue we will carefully.if you still not finished,we willing to help you..

i had similar problem with the poor quality of my gibbs actually i had two one with the z gibb wich had a uneven slop and was rounded and one for which i am STILL waiting for a replacement on the y axis its to thin so when i apply some pressure on the adjustement screw it as a tendency tilting so it does not apply the pressure on the full face of the base dovetail
    to answer your question no none of my dovetail have a nice finish i did it myself which is equal to alot af scrapping and fussing and cursing mostly on the rounded one
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne