587,098 active members*
5,801 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Want to buy: FlashCut or Torchmate seral signal generator (or fix mine)

Want to buy: FlashCut or Torchmate seral signal generator (or fix mine)

It's the model 401A and connects to the PC via a serial port, from back when their electronics had a separate signal generator. Mine expired and I need to get my foam router up and running again. Neither company can repair or replace signal generators of that vintage. Sigh. Call me at 541-592-3375 if you have one you don't need...or if you can repair the one I've got. A 501A could be of interest as well (that's the USB version).

Not sure what you mean by "expired". First, tell us if you currently have the private labeled Torchmate S/G or if you have the Flashcut one. I believe it will matter because I am sure that Torchmate had demanded certain variables be applied to THEIR version for whatever licensing agreements TM wanted to keep for their clients. I have heard that signal generators made specifically for them may have DIMENSION limitations applied (actual limits on the size of work area it will run).

You indicate that your running a "foam machine", so if you have a Torchmate S/G..... well........ obviously you might see some things come to play regarding TM's license agreements and upgrade policys.

Now besides that, the only "expiration" issue I know of is if the unit has a "dated" chip in it, and this is something that came into play sometime around when version 3 was released, it would mean that you could only use a version of software that was in the same timeline as they had intended. Its part of their methods related to "upgrades" no different than that of anyone else with software licensing agreements.

So, I guess what I am saying is, if you are trying to run that older S/G with much newer software than it was made for, it would give you a message indicating that your main chip would need to be upgraded.

I've never seen one of their Signal generators actually break or go up in smoke, and I have my share of them. I'd try to run it with an older version of software to double check if your not now. You dont even have to hook it up to a machine to find this out, just hook it to a PC and "connect".

I'm in NE Wisconsin so if your nearby, you could drop by and we could perhaps explore your options... try to figure out if it is really broken or not.
    Chris L

Thanks for your response, Chris. My 401A has the Torchmate sticker. Re "expired," that was a poor word choice on my part; I was considering quoting the complete rant from the Monte Python dead parrot sketch, but to be more precise, my S/G no longer recognizes the computer. According to Torchmate customer service, it's a hardware problem, it's fatal*, it happens now and then, it can't be fixed, it can't be replaced, and they'll be happy to sell me their all-in-one controller for about ten times what it'd cost me for a Gecko g540.

My "foam cutter" is a fast, cheap, large format, single-purpose 3D router, and all it does is carve my Rhino files into styrofoam patterns for fiberglass molding and thermoforming. I'm a pro writer, mostly how-to magazine stories; I'll build something interesting and tell people how I built it and how they can do it too (for example, see the current issue of Mother Earth News for a piece on my 100 mpg sports car). My responsibility is to my readers and I simply don't mention anything I can't recommend. I can heartily recommend Torchmate's electronics and basic software, but I can't recommend the company--which is why I don't speak of them in print, and when photographers are illustrating my stories I don't let them take pics of the S/G and motor controller. I'm considering switching to Gecko and Mach3 so I -can- have something to recommend, but right now, I have a car body to whip out and shows coming up, so I need to get my router back on line. I think a replacement S/G, with either the FlashCut or Torchmate label, is the most efficient way to solve my immediate problem.

*Or perhaps it's pining for the fjords.

Ok, that clears a few things up.

I guess I would first double and triple check that the exact serial port that you have defined in the software is still working, and that the defined port is still the correct one defined in the software. perhaps the easiest way to do a final check of that S/G is to install the software on another PC (It is not invasive), and then try to connect to the S/G from that new PC, trying each and every serial port option to make sure you have the correct one defined. I'd also crack it open and see if anything may have come loose, or if the small power supply has failed or.......

BTW, I did not ask if this is the unit that also has the internal driver cards....... If you do, you could RE-USE them on a new S/G that they are not installed in as they are now all the same. The plugs are there.

Now beyond that, I personally think that if you decide to go from a Flashcut environment to a Machx environment, your going to feel the pain at some point. I tend to have moved all of my stuff INTO Flashcut control because it works flawlessly as you can see by looking into any forum where it is discussed. But, you have to do what you have to do... I get that !

Bang for the buck though, If your going to spend money for new drivers, build a power supply, put it in a cabinet, wire it all up, fiddle with all the millions of setting options (ok thousands), you would be money ahead to just go directly to Flashcut, beg them for their best price on a new S/G which also gives you access to the latest and greatest software versions. All you need to do then is use your already configured setup file and your on your way. The pure cost of just the materials will put you near the half way mark easily, and then you have to do the work !

I can attest to the value of Flashcuts stuff..... Recently, I put one of their pro-stepper controls onto my Router. Wow! The drivers are buttery smooth and quiet. That machine has NEVER run that nice ! And, frankly, Flashcut is not Torchmate..... Torchmate does exercise "control" over their business plan as they should.... I have never had any troubles with Flashcut as a company. GREAT PEOPLE !

Let me know how things go !
    Chris L

Oh, and that 100mpg car ? I will read with great interest ! I always had my own plan... Mine included a 1947 Fiat 500a (Topolino - 1200lbs) and a 2 or 3 cylinder Diesel. I have always been convinced that I could hit at least 80mpg easily, especially after you simply review what has already been accomplished in the past (shell oil competitions).

Thanks for the heads up !
    Chris L

Quoting you, Chris L

> Torchmate does exercise "control" over their business plan as they should

Chris, perhaps you're right and perhaps they should, but they exercise their control too strongly for my tastes so I'm voting with my wallet. Torchmate's electronics (my S/G lasted nearly a decade) and interface software are top-notch, but I find their sales practices sufficiently objectionable that I'm no longer willing to support them. I'm clearly one of a small minority (if mine were the majority opinion, they'd change their practices to suit market demands) and realistically, this conflict may simply reflect me being out of touch with modern management techniques.

> Bang for the buck though [compare with buying components and assembling my own] you would be money ahead to just go directly to Flashcut...

I agree completely. My time has value, and FlashCut does a far better job than I could ever do, even if my time were free.

> ...beg them for their best price on a new S/G

Not necessary. FlashCut's retail price for their S/G and software package is perfectly fair. Heck, Torchmate's retail price for the equivalent package (as best as I can tell, it's the FlashCut package with a different label, but I could be wrong) is perfectly fair, and to Torchmate's credit they offered me a $300 discount as a trade-in for my old S/G. I'd take them up on it, were it not for my desire to get off Torchmate's customer list ASAP.

And now, for something completely different:

> I always had my own plan... Mine included a 1947 Fiat 500a (Topolino - 1200lbs) and a 2 or 3 cylinder Diesel.

I love it! But it's way off topic, so please contact me at KineticVehiclesDOTcom and I'll show you how to put a three-cylinder Kubota turbo diesel under the hood of your Topo.

Woohoo! I've received a FlashCut signal generator from a fellow CNCZoner, so I'm back in action. It'll be a week before I can get back to my machine, but it looks like my troubles are behind me...that is, my signal-generator-related troubles; it probably won't help with my tendency to eat fatty foods or drive to fast, but you know what I mean. Thanks, y'all, for helping me out.