586,929 active members*
2,656 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Partner IV w/Centurion V Problems

Hybrid View

Pulled a 3rd shift Friday night replacing the motherboard and power supply on the lathe. There's a bad diode and possibly 2 transistors. Z is maxed in. I need to find a way to move the crosslide back out. I couldn't find a screw like in the back of the lead screw on the X (long). He's going to bench-test another board with my extra DC drive motor.
    Thx!
    Kurt@Kurt's Kustom Firearms
    Home of the M9EvoM4

ML-14-Excess Error on the X. Getting way big numbers for position. Took it apart & found the problem. Sheared pin at the drive. Ordered 4 transistors (clamps) from Glentek for the board on the lathe.
    Still looking for a workable motherboard for the Partner IV mill.
    Home of the M9EvoM4

Quote Originally Posted by KurtsKustom View Post
    Pulled a 3rd shift Friday night replacing the motherboard and power supply on the lathe. There's a bad diode and possibly 2 transistors. X is maxed in. I need to find a way to move the crosslide back out. I couldn't find a screw like in the back of the lead screw on the Z (long). He's going to bench-test another board with my extra DC drive motor.
    Thx!
    Edit for wrong axis nomenclature.
    Home of the M9EvoM4

Got 4 new transistors from Glentek and put then on the board. Now, when homing, all operations stop at 'Homing X Axis' (already swapped out X & Z boards. DC motors energize and are locked up. Is this a random E-stop error?
    Thx!
    Home of the M9EvoM4

If it were in E-stop, you would see that alarm on the screen.

I would try the "Home Here" key then see if it will jog or handwheel each axis. That will tell you if the amps work from input to output. Either the signal from the control is missing or the servo amp does not see it.

If the Z does in fact go up and homes first, the X and Y are set to home at the same time. You could go into the parameters and change the order to 1,2,3 for Z,X,Y or X,Y,Z or Y-Z-X etc. so that each homes first to identify which is still a problem. The normal sequence is set for Z=1, X and Y=2.

DC

I neglected to mention that this was on the Partner ML-14 lathe, not the Partner IV mill. Both have Cent. V controls. There is no handwheel on the lathe. We tried 'home here' as well on the lathe, but this did not work. I feel we are getting closer, but we need to find the fault that is keeping it from homing.
    I ordered a brand new industrial motherboard for the mill.
    Keep it coming.
    Thx!
    Home of the M9EvoM4

Sorry, I have no experience with Milltronics lathes. We have a Bridgeport EZ-Path and a Hardinge Toolroom copy with a Centroid.

If the control boots and goes through the self checking, I'd think the MB would not be an issue to the symptoms. Possibly a motion control board, software or parameter issue.

Does Z home properly with either amp driving it?

Can you set the sequence that it homes in, (in the control parameters) so that it homes each axis independantly rather than simultaniously? Z=1 X=2? It may be set for both at 1 since it is a lathe?

While it is trying to home, see if there is any signal going to the amps analog input pin?

As a last resort and daringly, you could put a volt or less to that pin(while that wire is disconnected from the control) to see if the amp will move the axis with a small input. I have heard of some tech's doing this with a AA battery between gnd and the amps +/-10v analog input terminal. Flipping the battery polarity gives forward and reverse creep.

Wish I knew more about their lathe software and control......

DC

X is supposed to home first, as it's displayed. I will try what you suggest when my tech blows back in. He's on the road.
    Thx!
    Home of the M9EvoM4