587,224 active members*
3,214 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Don't know what I need to get this working, need help!

Don't know what I need to get this working, need help!

As you can see I'm new here and I'm Norwegian so my english isn't the best. I'm trying to build my first CNC machine, and it will hopefully at the end be able to mill aluminium.

Then, to my question. I need help to find a powersupply and drivers that fit my motors. I'm building an 3-axis machine and have 3 x Tormach stm34 motors.
    The label on the motor reads;
    "Tormach stm34-920-dbl
    920 oz inch
    7.0A 2.4mH
    red -wht phase A
    yel - grn phase B"
    It has four wires; Red, yellow, green and white (if thats important)

All this is really unknown to me and I'm trying to make sense of it all but I haven't managed the electronics yet. I'm in need of some expert help!

Is there anything else I need between the computer and the motors on the mill? (Besides a powersupply and drives that is)
    Witch connection type is the best to use/ can be used? Paralell, seriel, usb?

Hope someone can help, and I'm sorry if this post got in the wrong category!

Tommy

Hello and welcome! You have quite a project planned.
    Regarding your motors --
    4 wires means that you will have to pick your drive electronics carefully. For instance, Linisteppers will not work with 4 wire motors. Gecko Drives support 4 wire (bipolar) motors. Each type of system has advantages and disadvantages.

The power supply can be as simple as a modified PC power supply if your load is not too high. Power supply expense increases as the amperage needed increases. We would need to know what drives you choose before recommending a supply.

Your motors are certainly higher current rating than the usual recycled printer motor. 920 oz in is hefty amount for a beginning project.

What resource materials do you have, i.e. books, webpages read, etc?
    "IT ≠ IQ " Starwalt 1999

Well... planned and planned...
    It's seemes to be more of a "buy first - figure it out later" situation, atleast with the motors.

I've been looking at the G201's but don't know if these will do the trick. What disadvantages are there with bipolar motors connected to gecko drives?

I've read a lot from different forums and seen a lot of youtube-videos regaring building a machine. Without stealing anyone's design, I'm planning to build a machine more or less like this noe.
    The main problem as I see it is that I don't know witch info to use and witch to discard. I thougt I'd start collecting all main components and then build the best machine I can with what I have.

Regarding the motors and their torque, that was an imperial to metric convertion flaw from my side...
    If you think the G201 drives will be suitable witch psu (prefrably a pre-build system) would work with them? My electric skills are next to nothing so I'm as far as possible looking for a "plug 'n play" system.

Thanks for the help btw!

Tommy

EDIT;
    I've been looking at the G201, G202 and G203V. Is it correct of me to assume that the G203V is a more sofisticated than the G201 and the G202?
    Anyone know if it's safe to buy from Geckodrive with my VISA and get it shipped abroad? Couldn't find it on ebay... Anyone selling these in Europe or even close to Norway?
    Forgot to say that a psu must be able to accept 230/240V... (Wouldn't come far with a 110V system)

The G201 looks like it will do the job.

What ever power supply you use, most will accommodate 220VAC 50/60 Hz. We do live in a global market today and the power supply makers usually make for both standards.

Don't plan the project too much or you will be overwhelmed with thought and not make anything!

The UK-fellow link is a nice machine. My current (first) machine is for circuit board milling so your project is quite larger than my future plans.

Send an email to the Gecko folks to see if they will accept your payment and ship to Norway. I bet they will.
    "IT ≠ IQ " Starwalt 1999

I now have 3 x G201's in the mail, on their way to my doorstep.
    Thanks so far!

Then to my next challenge... A psu that will work with my drives and motors.
    Any suggestions? Or tips on what I should look for?

Tommy

My suggestion is connect a single axis first and use a 24VDC power supply. Keep increasing the speed from your CNC program until the axis no longer runs reliably. Write down the last reliable speed. Call this "the speed I got".

The power supply voltage you need is: 24VDC times "speed I want" / "speed I got".

Mariss

Super tip Mariss!

I'll try that when my drives arrive.
    Thanks!