587,646 active members*
2,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help with electronics and software

Hey guys i'm building 3'x7' plasma table. I already know exactly how i'm going to do the table but i need help picking motors, drivers and software for the laptop to run it. i run two 10'x20' 200A tables at work for a living so the operating side of it im covered, just not sure on exactly what i need and how to wire it all. So any help would be awesome. About 150 ipm max is what i'm looking for on both axis. I'm going to run belt drives direct off the motors. also i'm trying to do this on a tight budget, from what i've seen motors and drivers aren't too bad price wise but software looks like it might be a deal breaker. Anyone know of a more inexspencive software? I'm looking for one that can take my dxf files and convert them to the g-code for me.

I bought mine from CandCNC.com. If you haven't heard of them, they build the whole electronic setup and motors that just plug in to the controller. It comes with everything you are looking for, assembled, optimised and pre run for a real decent price, plus great tech support.........I don't know about any alternatives, lots of folks here reccomended them ............jb

well that's a bit more than i wanted to pay right now. i can wire everything Up i just would need schematics. so is there a more budget friendly alternative?

Hey guys so assuming i understand how the electronics on a cnc work, this is all i need.?

Motor drivers and contoller
    G540 4-Axis Motor Control

motors
    G723-280-4 Stepper Motor

Power supply
    Need a recomendation. I'm assuming a pc based power supply wont work?

A Desktop style pc with a parrallel port to run it all

Mach3
    ArtSoft USA - Home of Mach3 and LazyCam

Other than the actuall table, gantry, and plasma, this is it right?

Seconds for CandCNC

I put a big vote in for Toms products at CandCNC. I am a newb to this, but I do know enough or maybe I was lucky enough to have chosen a product from Tom. Electrical is not my cup of tea by any means and some how I managed to build a table and get up and running. Mind you I have had my problems but I can't say enough about his packages. One thing to consider is the fact that when you buy an AIO unit, its going to work out of the box. That is the biggest time saver I can come up with. While building a table I ran into many issues that almost stopped the program but one thing I knew in the back of my mind was I did not have to worry about the electrics. Tom even took time to tell me where to shop for a computer system that would handle the software I was going to run, that was a plus also. Take time to contact CandCNC. I have not used lazy cam, don't want to say anything bad about them but take time to check sheet cam, easy and quick to learn, seems to work flawlessly with autocads dxf files.
    Like the guy says on TV, stay thirsty my friend.
    Good luck

Lawrence, do you want torch height control? Do you want all the features of
    the high dollar machines? The tech help from CandCNC is what made me go there. I got the complete package to make a plasma table run except a computer and electricity, and of course a plasma cutter, for less for 1,500 delivered. He is always working on additions that can be used to upgrade. the stuff is all new and pre run tested . I can make boards and read schematics but saw no reason to devote my time to that instead of building the machine. I wish I knew where to direct you to schematics but I don't. Good luck with your build..............jb

Well last night i took another look at candcnc and saw the blade runner systems and they cost just a little more than me rounding up all the parts, so that will prob be the way i go.
    I will prob go with the blade runner4 combo for 885, and ad thc to it later. were could i get a thc? heard about ebay ones, are they any good?

I also will chime in here with very high reccomendations for Cand CNC products and service. I also am not an electronics person and nearly drove Tom crazy before I understood my system. I would NEVER have a finished table if I had tried to purchase electonics piece meal.
    The CandCNC THC works very, very well and is priced much lower than most of their competitors.