587,419 active members*
3,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Minimum height required for moving a VF-1

Minimum height required for moving a VF-1

I wanted to find out what the required height for bringing in a VF-1 into a garage. I have a 84" opening I think it will be tight if not impossible get in.

any help would be appreicated

Jim C

88.5 without a sidemount tool changer, 94 with one. Your local HFO should be able to quote you on the work necessary to get it dissassembled enough to fit through that door, and reassembled properly by a certified technician.

Nothing is impossible! If you have the carousal changer all you need is a 5" deep 5' wide trench from your driveway into the garage; the side mount will need an 11" trench.

This is only a semi-serious suggestion, but there was a local guy who dug a whole in his front yard, went through the wall of his basement, moved in a big jig boring machine and concreted up the wall and filled the hole. I have no idea if he ever moved it out again but considering he sold the business he founded for 700 million I guess he wasn't worried about writing it off.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    88.5 without a sidemount tool changer, 94 with one. Your local HFO should be able to quote you on the work necessary to get it dissassembled enough to fit through that door, and reassembled properly by a certified technician.

Well that would be a problem, about a 4 1/2" problem

I'm looking for a used one.

Thats understandable...but the HFO should actually still be able to help you out with dissassembly and re-assembly of a used machine. It might actually be a good chance to ask them to have a certified tech come take a look at the machine to give it a clean bill of health before you buy it, then break it down to the height necessary and then reassemble it when it's installed at your shop when they come in to properly level the machine. I think you'd still be able to save a significant amount of money over a brand new machine. With a few steps they will have the machine short enough to fit through the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcip View Post
    I wanted to find out what the required height for bringing in a VF-1 into a garage. I have a 84" opening I think it will be tight if not impossible get in.

any help would be appreicated

Jim C
    84 inches WORKS (with an umbrella type atc). My VF2 fit into my 84 X 84 opening with inches to spare. The motor has to be removed and the cable carrier has to be laid down. I forgot if anything else has to come off.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ourperf&page=3

look at post # 29

Mark

(Nothing is impossible! If you have the carousal changer all you need is a 5" deep 5' wide trench from your driveway into the garage; the side mount will need an 11" trench. )

Geof theres an easyer way, just cut the top plate lose and raise the roof ! You can then put in a little knee wall and keep the hight , then you just have to buy/build new door not fill in holes.
    Just push the button,what's the worst that could happen.

Door height can be increased buy unbolting garage from foundation and jacking up the door side. Maybe cheaper then disassembly of machine.