586,912 active members*
3,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > THB6064H(4.5A)-Stepping Motor Driver IC 4.5amp
Page 2 of 10 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    Yeah, it looks like a great chip, its just a trust issue. And that is a serious problem. Do you have a sample program? Has anyone in the USA tested it?
    Hello James Newton,
    Because the chips' R&D comes from domestic demand, they have a more focus character with easy application and a wider range of users. They've already got well received in domestic market. Just recently we want to exploit international market. There are some customers in Italia, Turkey, Germany tested this chip, and they are satisfied with this product. However, there is nobody in the USA tested it. If you will, I can offer some free samples for you. So you can test it by yourself. But you need to pay freight. After you test, please post the result of the test in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by lihaijiang View Post
    Hello James Newton,
    Because the chips' R&D comes from domestic demand, they have a more focus character with easy application and a wider range of users. They've already got well received in domestic market. Just recently we want to exploit international market. There are some customers in Italia, Turkey, Germany tested this chip, and they are satisfied with this product. However, there is nobody in the USA tested it. If you will, I can offer some free samples for you. So you can test it by yourself. But you need to pay freight. After you test, please post the result of the test in this forum.
    If you can send a driver (so I don't have to make a board for the initial testing) and a couple of chips (so I can make a board layout compatible with my other drivers if the testing goes well) and if the freight isn't extreme, I'd be willing to try it. What would the freight cost be to 92027 zip code in California, USA.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Smile

If you can send a driver (so I don't have to make a board for the initial testing) and a couple of chips (so I can make a board layout compatible with my other drivers if the testing goes well) and if the freight isn't extreme, I'd be willing to try it. What would the freight cost be to 92027 zip code in California, USA.
    Hi,
    I can send you some free samples as following:
    Test-Board for THB6064AH :1pcs
    Test-Board for THB6128 :1pcs
    THB6064AH chips:2pcs
    THB6128 chips:2pcs

The freight is about 40USD.But international express by EMS can't support cash on delivery.So please pay the freight in advance.Do you agree ?

Quote Originally Posted by lihaijiang View Post
    Hi,
    I can send you some free samples as following:
    Test-Board for THB6064AH :1pcs
    Test-Board for THB6128 :1pcs
    THB6064AH chips:2pcs
    THB6128 chips:2pcs

The freight is about 40USD.But international express by EMS can't support cash on delivery.So please pay the freight in advance.Do you agree ?
    Sounds good to me. I won't be able to test more than a few amps at 24 volts, but I can at least make sure they are reliable at that level... maybe it's time to get a bigger power supply anyway! Give me an email address to PayPal to?
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Smile

Sounds good to me. I won't be able to test more than a few amps at 24 volts, but I can at least make sure they are reliable at that level... maybe it's time to get a bigger power supply anyway! Give me an email address to PayPal to?
    My email address:[email protected]
    Please tell me your information (your full name,your company name,address,zip code, phone and fax) by email,because I need make PI.

HI lihaijiang, got the chips and test boards over the holiday. I'm catching up on other things at the moment, but I did find the time to unpack the box, look things over, and start thinking about how I will hook them up.

Zero documentation, of course, other than the chip datasheet and the schematic you provided here. Taking care of customer questions is what the reseller does, right? LOL.

Since I don't normally use opto-isolated inputs, I assume I can just connect all the negative inputs together (ENA-, CLK-, CWW-) to ground and then feed in my STEP signal to CLK+, DIRECTION to CWW-. And ENA+ needs to be tied to +5? Any safe way to just short that on the board?

HI lihaijiang, got the chips and test boards over the holiday. I'm catching up on other things at the moment, but I did find the time to unpack the box, look things over, and start thinking about how I will hook them up.

Zero documentation, of course, other than the chip datasheet and the schematic you provided here. Taking care of customer questions is what the reseller does, right? LOL.

Since I don't normally use opto-isolated inputs, I assume I can just connect all the negative inputs together (ENA-, CLK-, CWW-) to ground and then feed in my STEP signal to CLK+, DIRECTION to CWW-. And ENA+ needs to be tied to +5? Any safe way to just short that on the board?
    Hey,James.

I'm sorry that I didn't delivery any documentation except COMMERCIAL INVIOCE and INVOICE STATEMENT.,because these docmentations will add the weight.We just want to save the freight fee for you.

If you need any information,we can email you or post here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Smile

You can connect all the negative inputs together (ENA-, CLK-, CWW-) to ground and then feed in STEP signal to CLK+, DIRECTION to CWW-. However, ENA+ don't need to be tied to +5.Because ENA+ is at high level,the output will be zero.

If you have any questions about the test board connection,you can refer the test board instruction or contact me.

Just a quick note to let you know I got the 6064 driver up and running. It just has a 12 volt power supply at this point, I really need to get something better.

I tried to kill it by powering it on and off about 50 times, but it survived so it apparently doesn't have the weakness of the 6560. I even (ahem, accidentally) hooked up the motor power leads to the wrong terminals once (Doh!) but it survived that. After I get some speed testing done, I'm going to try to kill it by removing a motor leads or power lead in motion.

The motion in microstepping modes was smooth, and I didn't have any resonance problems (yet, haven't really tested for that) but the motor buzz, hiss, and squeal were loud and honestly really annoying. I had forgotten how evil sounding chopper drivers can be. At least it stops soon after each movement and you don't hear it when the motor is at speed, just on the acceleration and deceleration ramps.

But it certainly can move the motor at a good clip! I'm trying to track down a good variable power supply with at least 50volts at 5amps capacity... those are not cheap... anyway, I want to see how much power it can take before it starts heating.

Hi,James.

You can adjustfy the decay mode in order to reduce the noisy.If the motor still buzz, hiss, and squeal are loud ,you can lower the resistor(which is marked R11 on the board) to 43K.

If you want to test the max power,you'd better keep it ran at 42V,which is the safty voltage.

Thanks lihaijiang, changing the decay mode did make a considerable difference. I'm still testing with a low voltage (12 volt) supply, but after playing around with the resistor, I've been able to get reasonable speed out of it, although still not quite as fast as the Lini. I think it will do better on more voltage, so I've just converted another 12 volt supply and I will chain them for 24 volts as soon as time allows. It was interesting to me that there was a very tight range on the resistor where the speed was better. Any above that point and it stalled, any below that point and it stalled, but right at that one sweet spot, I could get the maximum speed. Outside that area, it was much worse.

Currently: The linistepper is doing 360 RPM and the 6064 is doing 300 RPM on the same motor, same supply, same controller, same motor temperature. But again, this is just at 12 volts, so I expect more when I install the new power supply.

Smile

Thanks lihaijiang, changing the decay mode did make a considerable difference. I'm still testing with a low voltage (12 volt) supply, but after playing around with the resistor, I've been able to get reasonable speed out of it, although still not quite as fast as the Lini. I think it will do better on more voltage, so I've just converted another 12 volt supply and I will chain them for 24 volts as soon as time allows. It was interesting to me that there was a very tight range on the resistor where the speed was better. Any above that point and it stalled, any below that point and it stalled, but right at that one sweet spot, I could get the maximum speed. Outside that area, it was much worse.

Currently: The linistepper is doing 360 RPM and the 6064 is doing 300 RPM on the same motor, same supply, same controller, same motor temperature. But again, this is just at 12 volts, so I expect more when I install the new power supply.

Hi,James.
    There was a range (20k-100k)on the resistor (R11),because it can't release the storage energy in a short time if over the range.I think it's very easy for you to find thesweet spot .There won't be any influences on running the motor.

As you known,if you want to get more than 300RPM,you can install a higher voltage.I'm very sure that it's safe below 42V.

Hi, James.

How was the testing? Have you installed the new power supply?

I managed to fry both 12 volt supplies by hooking them together. But a new supply with up to 36 volts capacity is on the way.

I managed to fry both 12 volt supplies by hooking them together. But a new supply with up to 36 volts capacity is on the way.

Hi,James.

Are you sucessful in a new supply with up to 36 volts capacity? If you have any questions during test,please let me know.

Best regards,

Well, it's been a long, fun road. The 36 volt supply was dead on arrival and had to be returned. I then embarked on an exciting journey of attempting to stack the 12 volt outputs on multiple PC power supplies to achieve higher operating voltage. Although I was very careful to isolate the cases, and grounds of the supplies, one of those supplies did NOT have an isolated output on the 12 volt side which caused a major short (smoke, sparks, fire, all that jazz) and fried one of my motors and another driver.

I did achieve a 24 volt stacked supply, and the THB6064 driver survived and seems to be running just fine. I'm rather impressed with that.

I haven't done any speed testing because the motor was nuked and I just now have a new set of motors in and will be wiring them up very soon... hopefully tonight in fact. The remaining motors are on axis which are not as heavy, so not a fair comparison, but with 24 volts, I'm getting a solid 425 RPM.

I'm generally impressed, both in terms of survival and speed. I'd rather see people purchasing these controllers than the crap TB6560 units.

Thanks for keeping after me on this, as it is helping to motivate my rebuilding the CNC machine!

I'd rather see people purchasing these controllers than the crap TB6560 units.
    The webpage created a skimlink to the crap unit

I would like to get the THB6064AH

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Konstantin View Post
    I would like to get the THB6064AH
    please visit [url=http://www.hhbytech.com]

If you want to buy,please contact [email protected]

I'm generally impressed, both in terms of survival and speed. I'd rather see people purchasing these controllers than the crap TB6560 units.

Thanks for keeping after me on this, as it is helping to motivate my rebuilding the CNC machine!
    James,

Based on your testing would you conclude that this chip doesn't suffer from the special power up sequencing requirement of the TB6560 chip? The requirement that logic power must be applied before motor power on power up and vice versa on power down.

thx

Page 2 of 10 1234