587,089 active members*
2,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Cincinnati a2100 Connectivity

Cincinnati a2100 Connectivity

I have a 1998 Cincinnati Arrow 750 with a2100 control, I want help on how to get a laptop to converse with the machine's control to enable me to run larger programs from a cam package on the machine. The machine has low memory so will i have to Drip feed(DNC) the programs?, Also is this possible through the rs232 cable?

Thanks in advance for your help

hello its easy to 'drip feed' thru the a2100.
    select PROGRAMS
    TRANSFER PROGRAMS
    ADVANCED
    RUN WITHOUT LOADING.
    This will run the program from a host computer without using the edit buffer.
    send me an e-mail to [email protected] with your e-mail or phone number if you want to discuss further. whereabouts in the UK are you.
    regards
    mallardfizz

You can also transfer the large program to the harddrive of the A2100 completely, then run without loading - which won't tie up your RS232 connection. This works better for me so I can leave a large program running on the Arrow, and get things done elsewhere also.
    You may need to create a seperate partition to the harddrive first though.

Hi, thanks to you both for your replys. So what do i need to connect the two? ie software?? & usb to rs232 cable??

Thanks

Most CNC controls require a null modem cable.
    These cables
    http://www.cablewholesale.com/cgi-bi...ale+null+modem
    have the right gender for a DB9 on the computer, verify the gender and pin count of the connector on the control.

edit: sorry I just noticed you're in the UK. Pity, these cables are cheap and good.

I use this software for transferring files, and they claim it does drip feed, too.
    http://www.onecnc.com.au/nclink_free.exe

Joe

You know the control computer is a PC running Window NT4.0 right?

You can go the RS232 route and transfer using a DNC program like CimcoDNC, for which yes you'll need the USB to serial port adapter and a cable. This is not a user friendly method though, takes a bit to get it all set-up and working right. That is unless you have an older laptop that has the serial port on it and then you would only need to make yourself a cable.

Or you can add an ethernet card to the computer in your A2100 control and set it up to access of a network and just drag drop the file over a network. This is how I have mine set-up and it makes my life so much easier.

I have two cincci 500 with acro 2100. But I cant DNC one of them. (Just bought it).

The machines ethernet option is available, and the floppy disk works. I am also 100% sure it is a software problem not hardware, and I get this strange feeling that I am just supposed to tick something and the problem will be solved.

The control is very simple, (alot like a PC). its a shame they stoped making it. very user friendly, but does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Open the settings page on the one that is working and the other, then compare them. They both need unique IP addresses.

You may check the ehternet card too, I've had one go bad and had to replace it.

Rgds,
    John B

Thanks john, Yes the ethernet is a option, but idealy i would prefer not to have that initial cost yet.

Is it a worthwhile option for me to try and setup, rs232-usb connetion?
    What will i need and how do i do it?
    Basically i'd like the easyest way of getting large programs from a cam package to the control.
    I just hoped dnc would be easy and cheap?

Sure it's worth the time for the RS-232 method. Gotta communicate with it somehow and floppy ain't gonna cut it for long.

There should be a DB25 port on the back panel, says "Printer" as I recall. That is where I initially had my DNC input connected. It's defined as Com1 as I remember. If you have the manuals, it's actually pretty good at describing the set-up. If not, drop me a PM and I'll get the info you need next week.

Rgds,
    John

Is there a work around for the ethernet without purchasing the option from Cincinnati?

First, install an ethernet card when the machine is off.

Then try selecting the "Emergency Un-install" when the control is booting, which will cancel the Mustang load and go to Windows NT without the CNC operating sysem being loaded which will interfere with alot of changes in Windows. Then you should be able to set-up the ethernet card and all the IP stuff without the Mustang software being involved. Once the ethernet communications are set-up you should be able to reboot the machine and let it load Mustang as normal, and then have ethernet access.

I have the harddrive partitioned off into 2 virtual drives so that only the new drive is seen from the network, which keeps someone from accidentally screwing up the operating system files. I transfer files from my CAM computer to the new virtual drive, F drive on my mill, and then I transfer them to the original C drive on the Arrow's control. If it is a large file I run it without loading, but there is never a problem with file size, the harddrive is originally 40 Gb, now it is 30Gb for the C drive, and 10Gb for the F drive.

Rgds,
    John

Thank you John I really appreciate your information.

Hi again everyone,

I'm trying to get my cincinnati arrow acramatic 2100 to communicate with my laptop, i've downloaded a demo of codeshark mill, but i don't know how to get the 2 to converse.

any help greatly received

Why not connect a zip drive to your machine ?
    We have been running 40+mb files for the last 10 years without any problems.
    You should be able to get one for under £20 from Ebay.

Hi lads. would you be able to help me please. Im looking to get a cable set up however i cannot find the pin arrangement for the rs232c 25 pin to 9 pin serial cable. is it the same as a standard cabel? I like the zip drive idea actually probably easier to install. are the drivers easily obtainable with nt unsupported?

Hi everyone,

My Acramatic 2100 working buffer has only 150kb. For any program larger than 150kb I have to use drip feeding and this is ridiculous. I have an option for "maximum program capacity " or so, but need a code to unlock. Do you have a clue how to do that or how to detour.

Thanks guys

How do you do connect a zip drive to the machine?

Does that mean no more dripfeed/rs232 problems!

cheers