587,214 active members*
3,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Control Software?

So, does everyone use Mach3 as their control software from their computer? I am trying to setup a workstation and I want to use 64 bit Vista to get the most out of my 4GB of RAM. However, here's the message I received from Mach3 support:

Hi, Mach will work with 64-bit versions of XP or Vista if you are using something like a SmoothStepper for the motion control device. The Mach3 driver will not work with a 64-bit OS... Thanks, scott

Not sure what he meant by that... I'm a bit confused.

-BK

BK,

A Mach3 computer does not require 4 gigabytes of ram.

A Mach3 computer should be dedicated to your CNC machine.

It should not serve dual purposes, IE cad design machine and CNC controller.

If Mach3 is interrupted by another software operation while it is running a CNC machine it may cause a malfunction which could be either dangerous, lethal and or or may ruin the part it is machining.

Mach3 needs to be an exclusive application while controlling your CNC machine.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

BK,

Some aftermarket plugins like the Smoothstepper may work with Mach3 and Windows 64 bit operating systems.

The Mach3 Driver "Parallel Port Driver for Mach3" only works with Windows 32 bit operating systems.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Well, I need a CAD workstation and the only other computer I have is a laptop, which is not going to be good for a CNC control computer. The way I figured, I could design something on that computer and then just run Mach3 by itself without anything else running until the work is done... at least until I can get more than one computer. So, a single machine for CAD and Mach3 can work for now.

So, everyone recommends me Gecko 540 for my Joe's '06 CNC. How can I make it all work and have 64bit OS? Or is that even possible? Also, modern day motherboards (at least the ones I'm looking at) don't carry parallel port, what do I do?

-BK

Buy a $100 Dell Optiplex (I think) on Ebay with XP installed. They are reported to run Mach3 just fine.

Or, in addition to the G540, buy a Smoothstepper for $160 and plug the G540 into that, and it should work with your 64bit Vista.

Here's a PC for $75.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Optiplex-GX...3%3A1|294%3A50
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Bkboggy,

Dual Boot two operating systems.

Load 32 Bit Windows XP in its own partition.

The G540 requires a EPP parallel port, no substitutes period.

It will not function with a USB printer port adapter either.

Several manufactures still make system boards with a on board EPP parallel port.

ASUS is a good choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131350

Jeff...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but just because 64bit Vista supports 4+ gigs of RAM, doesn't mean any 32 bit software will. So , unless you have 64 bit versions of your CAD software, it won't make much difference.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Bkboggy,

Before purchasing a Smoothstepper make sure it is 100% compatible with the G540.

The G540 requires a 100% EPP compliant parallel port.

Jeff...

Smile

Ger,

You are correct 64 bit XP wont help unless he has the 64 bit version of Autocad or a 64 bit version of whatever.

Jeff...

My personal preference is to use a dumpster dive computer on dos and run turbocnc. There are others out there also that will run on dos and you can have a minimal cost system that will work very well. My shop computer runs ONLY turbocnc on a CF card (read solid state drive) has 64 MB of memory and will do anything I want it to.

My 2¢
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Bubba,
    Yep, I got about the same setup for now. Pentium 1 computer with 256 meg ram and turbocnc running in DOS. It's an old E-machines box and it does fine. The next machine will be PIII with EMC2 under Unbuto Linux.

Steve

ger21 -- correct, I would have to get myself the 64bit versions of the software. All of the programs that I am looking at have 64bit versions, except Mach3. Thanks for the computer system tip.

jalessi -- Thanks, I will contact them and make sure that it is. I would do the dual system thing, but I can't afford to buy two OSs at this time. Will a parallel port card be sufficient?

Bubba -- Is Turbo CNC as good as Mach3? Mach3 is not very expensive and it seems to be amazing.

One thing I'm confused with is this:

Why would I need to get SmoothStepper with Gecko540?

G540 discription:

The G540 is a complete 4-axis system which plugs directly into your computer via the parallel port and to your motors through DB9 connectors. It contains four of our G250 drives, our own breakout board and a hard anodized aluminum case.

So, it can run CNC on its own, right? It is a motion control system by itself, is it not? So, the only reason I would be getting SmoothStepper is because it can run stuff with a 64bit OS? Why? If Mach3 doesn't run with a 64-bit OS, how would SmoothStepper enable that option?

Also, SmoothStepper discription:

The SmoothStepper is a motion control device that connects to the USB port of a computer. It accepts commands from a software package such as Mach3, and produce very high quality pulse trains that drive step & direction motors. At this time the only software package it works with is Mach3, but a Software Development Kit (SDK) is planned, which will allow you to control the SmoothStepper with your own software.

So, that means that I can connect G540 to SmoothStepper via parallel port (which is on SmoothStepper board?) and then connect SmoothStepper to my computer via USB? Would that let G540 work? It requires parallel port if it's connected directly.

BKboogy,

You are correct, you can connect G540 to SmoothStepper via parallel port (which is on SmoothStepper board) and then connect the SmoothStepper to your computer via USB

The G540 requires a 100% compliant Enhanced Parallel Port, there could be compatibly issues with the SmoothStepper.

There are several vendors on eBay selling used Dell computers with Windows XP for less than $125.00

http://tinyurl.com/c2efmr

For less than the cost of a SmoothStepper, you would have a dedicated PC running 32 bit Windows XP.

You cant beat that and you would be able to work on CAD designs while the CNC machine cuts for hours on end.

Good luck with your budget.

Jeff...

Hmm, that is an option I'm looking at more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by bkboggy View Post

One thing I'm confused with is this:

Why would I need to get SmoothStepper with Gecko540?

G540 discription:

The G540 is a complete 4-axis system which plugs directly into your computer via the parallel port and to your motors through DB9 connectors. It contains four of our G250 drives, our own breakout board and a hard anodized aluminum case.

So, it can run CNC on its own, right?
    Not exactly sure what you're asking here. The G540 is basically just 4 individual stepper drives mounted to a motherboard. The motherboard routes the parallel port signals to the drives, and adds a few functions, like E-Stop, VFD control, and charge pump.

It is a motion control system by itself, is it not?
    No, it's not. See reply above.

So, the only reason I would be getting SmoothStepper is because it can run stuff with a 64bit OS? Why? If Mach3 doesn't run with a 64-bit OS, how would SmoothStepper enable that option?

MAch3 itself will NOT run on a 64 bit OS. More specifically, MAch3's parallel port driver, which is what allows it to output signals through the parallel port, will not run. You can, however, install Mach3 without the driver on a 64 bit OS, but you won't get any signals from the parallel port.

This is where the Smoothstepper comes in. The Smoothstepper doesn't care what OS you're using, and doesn't even know. The Smoothstepper recieves commands from Mach3 via USB, and creates it's own step and directions signals from those commands, and outputs them through it's own parallel ports.

Does this help any?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Originally Posted by bkboggy View Post

Bubba -- Is Turbo CNC as good as Mach3? Mach3 is not very expensive and it seems to be amazing.

In my view, it is a very good program. By the way, TurboCNC is only $60 and an update has been promised by Dave which will fix old bugs and include CV. Also, the speed should approach the 100KHz mark with the new compile.

I also enjoy the advantage of being able to modify the source code as a registered user. This allows me to make changes as I see fit. There are not a lot of gee whiz buttons to push and it is a good basic controller that fills the needs of my shop. Will it run smooth stepper, no. Will it probe, run a mill, run a lathe; yes. Is it reliable YES! I have never had it crash. (well once, when a hard drive died on me, but can't blame that on the program)

You can check it out at www.dakeng.com and download a fully functional version.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I use Turbocnc also, great program. It may have limitations I haven't found yet, but for now I am sticking will it.

Bubba -- thanks.

ger21 -- you're saying G540 is not capable of motion control, but the discription of it says it controls the CNC if connected directly into the parallel port on the computer.

jelassi -- got this email from Mach3 support:

I'll start off with the G540. Yes, you can plug it directly into a computer and run a machine *if* you are using the Mach3 parallel port driver to generate the pulse stream - just like a regular breakout board. The SmoothStepper is designed as a "drop in" replacement to the parallel port. It plugs into a USB port and has a parallel port interface on it (actually 2) to allow it to directly plug into standard breakout boards. I am running a test mill in my living room that is connected to my computer via a SmoothStepper hooked into a G540 - the setup works just fine..
    So, SmoothStepper does have a parallel port that G540 recognizes as the real thing and it can plug in into my USB port, so I don't have to worry about getting a parallel port motherboard.

However, here's my question that hasn't been answered it and might solve some issues (even if I have to go with 32bit OS):

If I use a parallel port card (not an adapter that goes through USB, but an actual parallel port card) will G540 recognize it as the real thing and work properly?

-BK

"If I use a parallel port card (not an adapter that goes through USB, but an actual parallel port card) will G540 recognize it as the real thing and work properly?"

The parallel port card must be 100% EPP compatible

A true motion controller does not require a computer to send it code, it can generate and store gcode.

The G540 does not store or generate gcode, it drives the stepper motors.

P.S. GER21 is one of the most knowledgeable members on the CNCZone, his advice is golden.

Jeff...

Ahh, now it makes sense. People were saying it's not the same, but no one really said why before, heh

What does EPP mean?

Page 1 of 2 12