587,719 active members*
3,429 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Electronic Edge Finder

I've looked for a long time for a electronic edge finder with a shank that's 3/8" or less. My machine uses ER-16 collets and so the standard 3/4" shank edge finders won't work for me. Not to mention all the ones I've ever seen are the Chinese made edge finders. I came across this on eBay and thought it might be of interest. I just ordered one and will post my findings here once I get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINI-ELECTRONIC-...3A1%7C294%3A50

I also want to say I have absolutely no affiliation with this company or their products whatsoever!

The only downside I see to this one is that I'm not sure if it has any mechanism to protect it from overtravel. All the Chinese models I've seen use a spring loaded ball on the end. But maybe that takes away from the accuracy as well. I've not used one enough to know.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisR100 View Post
    The only downside I see to this one is that I'm not sure if it has any mechanism to protect it from overtravel. All the Chinese models I've seen use a spring loaded ball on the end. But maybe that takes away from the accuracy as well. I've not used one enough to know.
    If you modify it so Mach can use it as a probe, you shouldn't have to worry about over-travel. I've been using a rigid electronic edge finder as a probe for months, with no problems (I did break one, due to a bug in Mach that's since been fixed).

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    If you modify it so Mach can use it as a probe, you shouldn't have to worry about over-travel. I've been using a rigid electronic edge finder as a probe for months, with no problems (I did break one, due to a bug in Mach that's since been fixed).

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Any details on your modification?

Sweet, I've been looking for one of these myself! I put in an order too, thanks for the tip TravisR100.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisR100 View Post
    Any details on your modification?
    Nothing more than removing the "guts", and figuring out a way to attach a wire to the tip, and bring it out so it can be connected to yoru BOB. On mine, I just machined a plastic plug to take the place of the battery/LED module, and passed the wire in through a side hole, and used the plastic plug to hold it in contact with the tip. A 10 minute mod.

Regards,
    Ray L.

It's real easy, just like Ray said. Rather than machining a plug, I just used the plastic cylinder an endmill came in that happened to fit just right.

Given that you want an odd size here, you could just machine the whole probe too.

Cheers,

BW

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    It's real easy, just like Ray said. Rather than machining a plug, I just used the plastic cylinder an endmill came in that happened to fit just right.

Given that you want an odd size here, you could just machine the whole probe too.

Cheers,

BW
    Maybe I'm just a klutz, but I tried making my own, and could not get the accuracy I wanted - best I could do was about 0.002-0.003". But, I did make several I use for non-precision work (like probing and odd shape to generate a CAD file). The advantage of these is an easily replaceable tip (just a small screw), in case I do manage to break it off (which I did, due to a bug in my probing macro before I got it fully sorted out).

Regards,
    Ray L.