587,913 active members*
3,765 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Upgrade of Tormach PCNC1100 anytime soon?

Upgrade of Tormach PCNC1100 anytime soon?

Hello Everybody
    I just registered here and got a question.
    I'm looking into buying a Tormach 1100 and was wondering if anybody knows about their update cycle?
    Is a new one expected anytime soon or is it a good time to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by cordvision View Post
    Hello Everybody
    I'm looking into buying a Tormach 1100 and was wondering if anybody knows about their update cycle?
    The 1100/I launched in 2006. The II in 08, if I recall. V3 was about 2011. Since Tormach has a formal, articulated policy of making major upgrades available to owners of earlier versions (and very affordable!- look at the price of the II to III motion upgrade) there is very little reason to try to time a purchase. My sense is that Tormach does a major upgrade when real functional improvement is possible, and otherwise makes minor updates on the fly, without notice, though they're usually available as retrofits (door latch comes to mind).

If you need one, buy it.

Hello Everybody
    I have had my PCNC 1100 since July 2011. There is an upgrade to a Series III available, but my machine works great the way it is, so why would I change it. The only thing I would gain is a little speed.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, WHY FIX IT.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I bought a series I Tormach 1100 back in ’07. All of the improvements to the Tormach 1100 have been available for my series I model as an affordable upgrade. For example I upgraded the spindle VFD and a fan kit for cooling the new spindle VFD braking resistor. Also an essential upgrade added was the power draw bar. I haven’t added the stepper motor upgrade yet, however that upgrade is available at reasonable cost to make my series I a series III. The available upgrades to make older Tormach mills have the same performance as new models is a big plus IMO.

Don

I believe the early Series 1 table is 2" shorter and has 2" less x axis travel than later models, with no upgrade available.

Phil

Phil,

Perhaps on the early series I. Don't know if that's true with my series I. If that is true for mine, I haven't noticed.

Don

Here’s the spec for the early Series I:

• Table Size – 31.5” x 9.5”
    • Travel (X, Y, Z axis) – 15.9” x 10” x 16.25”

Here’s the spec for the Series II:

• Table Size – 34” x 9.5”
    • Travel (X-, Y-, Z-axis) – 18” x 9.5” x 16.5”

But I think the change happened well before the launch of the series II

Phil

Phil,

Like I said I hadn't noticed the lack of additional travel and table size of my series I as this doesn't have any effect for me with the size of parts I make. I did note the increase in performance with the spindle upgrade: Don't need to change belts as often because of the wider speed and torque range and the increase to 5.1K rpm was appreciated as I machine mostly aluminum. Also noted was the decrease in time to stop the spindle with the new braking resistor- a definite plus when changing tools using the PDB upgrade. BTW I saw a bumper sticker on a small truck like my Tacoma the other day that read: Nice truck. Sorry about your small p***s :-)

Don

Aside from the other good advice, you should know that Tormach is in the final stages of starting production of a surface grinder and CNC lathe. I don't know about the grinder but the lathe has been in development for at least 2 years. If they were working on a new mill, I'd guess that it would be another year or two before it is released, in which case there is little point in waiting.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Aside from the other good advice, you should know that Tormach is in the final stages of starting production of a surface grinder and CNC lathe. I don't know about the grinder but the lathe has been in development for at least 2 years. If they were working on a new mill, I'd guess that it would be another year or two before it is released, in which case there is little point in waiting.

Mike
    Got to see the new lathe in person yesterday, at the Santa Cruz Electronics Open House! It is a LOT bigger than I'd expected, and looks REALLY beefy! Even the stand is massive - made of welded 3/16" steel plates. The headstock is really massive. It'll be interesting to see where the price comes out....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Mike
    Good point, buy now.
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Got to see the new lathe in person yesterday, at the Santa Cruz Electronics Open House!
    Ray - if you got to see it in action, what were your impressions?

Mike

Ray - if you got to see it in action, what were your impressions?

Mike
    Mike,

Unfortunately I didn't get to see it in action, I just got to see it. They weren't running it, as far as I could see.

Regards,
    Ray L.