587,812 active members*
3,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach 770 coolant system pictures?

Tormach 770 coolant system pictures?

I got my 770 used, and it did not come with a liquid coolant system. I want to add one, but am not sure if something cheaper like this: H8140 7 Gallon Coolant Tank System

will work as well as the more expensive tormach system. Does anyone have any pictures of how the coolant pump/tank attaches to the 770? There are no pictures on the tormach website.

Did you get the stand? The tormach cooling system is part of the stand, not the machine.

If you don't have the Tormach stand, keep a mop handy. You're gonna need it.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Check out this page Product Documents | Tormach LLC | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items
    The first document PDF in the list shows some pics of the stand assembly and coolant tank.

There may be more in the list of other PDF's but you will have to look thru them to see.
    HTH,
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Yes, I do have the stand for it.

I found a Graymills coolant pump on Craigslist for $45. It was in rough shape, but after some TLC, it works great. You can use Searchtempest to search Craigslist in a larger area.

I ordered the Loc-Line parts on eBay, and plumbed in a whole-house water filter to keep the chips out of the coolant nozzles.

The tank/pump sits on floor beside the machine. If you want pics, let me know.

Yeah, pics would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mrquacker View Post
    Yeah, pics would be awesome
    Well, I can upload to Photobucket, but it won't let me accept the privacy agreement. If I can figure out the problem, I'll post pics. I can email to you if you want.

Roy

Try imgur: the simple image sharer It's much better site than photobucket.

You can add pictures to your post on this forum. No photobucket needed.

I attached a piece of plastic rain gutter on the back, and sloped it toward the coolant resevoir on the side. My next house, I'm having the back easily accessible to clean out the chips. The coolant filter is really nice. No matter how careful I was, chips always found a way into the coolant tank. I got the filter housing on eBay (much cheaper) and the rest of the parts at Home Depot.

Looks like that pump has some power!

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    Looks like that pump has some power!
    It's the biggest 1/4 horsepower motor I have seen.

That looks almost exactly like what I had in mind to build. I figure I could build a cheap one using a large rubbermaid container and a sump pump.

But shouldn't the filter be before the pump? Wont the pump be damaged by sucking up small chips?

Quote Originally Posted by mrquacker View Post
    That looks almost exactly like what I had in mind to build. I figure I could build a cheap one using a large rubbermaid container and a sump pump.

But shouldn't the filter be before the pump? Wont the pump be damaged by sucking up small chips?
    You wouldn't be able to force the coolant throught the filter without the water pressure from the pump. The pump is designed to pump coolant with small chips in it. The impeller is not tight to the impeller housing. It's a pretty neat design. The chip basket is supposed to catch chips (filter) the coolant coming in, but every time you remove the basket, chips fall into the resevoir.

The other issue, is very small chips WILL get through the screen in the chip basket. The sediment filter catches all of that.

As for a sump-pump, I don't know if the coolant will damage the seals over time. The may also be for clean, clear water. You can get coolant pumps on eBay for $100 or so brand new, and they move a lot of coolant. They also keep the motor above the coolant level.

This set up has been a HUGE time saver. I no longer need to worry about the coolant-nozzles clogging when I leave the running machine, and having the tool overheat when the coolant stream slows or stops. I also haven't needed to clean the nozzles or ball valves since the filter upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Roy