587,349 active members*
3,082 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Finding the right CNC machine

Hey,
    I am looking to make knives, small bike parts, etc... I would like a small to medium size machine and was wondering who makes the best stuff.... If you guys could give me say 3 choices that would be great...Not exactly sure how large of a machine I would need for this....would it be benchtop or standalone? What kind of price range are we talking about? Will also most likely need a lathe and a drill press...

1. cost no object
    2. best value for the money
    3. cheapest

Thanks

From what I'm reading in other threads, don't buy anything from PCnC Automation. Take a look around, you'll see the posts from many a dissatisfied customer. I have no dealings with them, only passing on what I've seen.
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

For what its worth, if your parts can fit within a X16" x Y12" x Z10" work envelope then I think a Haas SuperMiniMill is best value for money.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

CNC Mill

A Boss BPT Seris1 will do 18"x12" X&Y and 14" Z with 5" Quil travel I have a nice Boss3 with tooling for$2500 It's a lot easer to learn without a large pmt over your head Thank's and good luck Kevin

Let me explain better... I am really looking for something to do some prototyping work... It will need to be able to cut steel as well as titanium... Will any of the really small units work?

Take a serious look at the PCNC 770 or PCNC 1100 from Tormach. They have really good documentation, accessories and support. I own a PCNC 1100, but otherwise have no affiliation with Tormach. The PCNC 770 is listed at $6200 while the PCNC 1100 is listed at $7480 for the machines themselves. Stands, vises, tooling, rotary tables and other accessories are extra.

www.tormach.com

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheepcycle View Post
    Let me explain better... I am really looking for something to do some prototyping work... It will need to be able to cut steel as well as titanium... Will any of the really small units work?