587,201 active members*
3,170 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

0i-MC Questions

We have a GE Fanuc 0i-MC Controller and have a few problems/issues.

1) When transferring files from the Memory Card to the Controller it seems to take a very long time. 120Kb file taking 1 Hour to transfer. Is that normal?

2) Trying to setup transfer via RS-232 cable and the Fadal manual doesn't give a lot of good information on setting this up. We're trying to find information on how to set up the machine for receiving a file from a PC.

Thank You

Not normal. All our 0-I controls will do 1 meg in less than 15 seconds. Check your card, something is not right. Should be a standard compact flash or ATA with adapter.

The card is a SanDisk Ultra CompactFlash 30MB/s* 4GB.

Another question/issue is that controller is reporting about 250KB of storage that seems extremely small and I believe the 0i-MC has a 32MB chip. Any ideas?

No to the 32MB. 250K sounds about right. I THINK max on a 0i-c is 2 Meg.

Find and older card, less than 2 GB. I think it's the Ultra card messing you up.

I'll try to track down a different card, thanks.

As for the memory; according to the Spec sheet for the controller, there is a part A20B-3900-0223 and from what I've found online is a FROM/SRAM 32MB/1MB.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by pmd5700 View Post
    I'll try to track down a different card, thanks.

As for the memory; according to the Spec sheet for the controller, there is a part A20B-3900-0223 and from what I've found online is a FROM/SRAM 32MB/1MB.

Thanks for your help!

Sounds about right. Fanuc put the 1meg memory in, then charges you extra to change the parameter.:bs:

I believe the 32MG was dedicated for operation memory not program storage, but i'm sure one of the better Fanuc option experts will chime in.

Good luck.
    BTW try this
    Newegg.com - Transcend 1GB Compact Flash (CF) Flash Card Model TS1GCF80

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Sounds about right. Fanuc put the 1meg memory in, then charges you extra to change the parameter.:bs:

I believe the 32MG was dedicated for operation memory not program storage, but i'm sure one of the better Fanuc option experts will chime in.

Good luck.
    BTW try this
    Newegg.com - Transcend 1GB Compact Flash (CF) Flash Card Model TS1GCF80
    Thanks! I was actually just looking at that card.

I just found out that controllers came with CF cards from Fanuc, they say Fanuc on them and they're 256MB and they still suffer from extremely slow transfer rates.

Just bumping this with some new information.

1) Still having slow transfer issues with the memory card. Even using the 256MB card that Fanuc supplied with the controller we get very slow transfer speeds. Could there be a setting somewhere in the parameters or something that is causing this?

2) We're also trying to set up the machine to receive files from a computer. We found something that says.

1 Place the CNC in the EDIT mode.
    2 Press the function key PROG .
    3 Press the continuous menu key at the right end of the soft key display.
    4 Press the [PRGRM] soft key. The program screen appears.
    5 Press the [(OPRT)] soft key.
    6 Press the continuous menu key at the right end of the soft key display.
    7 Press the [READ] soft key.
    8 Type the O number of an NC program to be input, with the MDI keys.
    [Input format]
    <O–number>
    9 Press the [EXEC] soft key.
    10 During input, “INPUT” blinks in the lower–right corner of the screen.

However, when we press [READ] we get an 086 Alarm. First of all, I want to see if this is the correct way to set up the 0i-MC to receive files from the computer. Second, I looked up the error code, but still can't figure out what it might be.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alarm 086 is DR SIGNAL OFF, which means either the RS232 cable is not plugged in, or not wired correctly (pins 6, 8, and 20 jumpered on the CNC side), or you have bigger problems.

How is your cable wired? It should be as follows:

DB-25M DB-9F
    1 <------ (shield - NC side only)
    2 <----------------------> 2
    3 <----------------------> 3
    7 <----------------------> 5
    4, 5 jumpered (NC side only)
    6, 8 & 20 jumpered (NC side only)

Thanks for your response. The cables we are using are 25pin on both ends. They were originally being used with Fadal Controllers but we just recently got new CNCs with Fanuc controllers. The cables are custom made. Is that configuration standard to multiple controllers or does each company have their own specific wiring configuration.

Thanks for your response. The cables we are using are 25pin on both ends. They were originally being used with Fadal Controllers but we just recently got new CNCs with Fanuc controllers. The cables are custom made. Is that configuration standard to multiple controllers or does each company have their own specific wiring configuration.
    The wiring config for Fanuc is all the same. The machine the control is hanging on makes no difference.

The following cable config is for Software handshaking (Xon Xoff) and is the most often used method.

With a DB25 connector both ends the pin out should be as follows:
    Machine Side------------------PC Side
    1 to shield
    2-------------------------------3
    3-------------------------------2
    | bridged

7-------------------------------7

|
    8 all bridged
    |

Regards,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    The wiring config for Fanuc is all the same. The machine the control is hanging on makes no difference.

The following cable config is for Software handshaking (Xon Xoff) and is the most often used method.

With a DB25 connector both ends the pin out should be as follows:
    Machine Side------------------PC Side
    1 to shield
    2-------------------------------3
    3-------------------------------2
    | bridged

7-------------------------------7

|
    8 all bridged
    |

Regards,

Bill
    Our cables are setup almost correct, I think. Everything matches what you've described above except 2 things. What does "1 to shield" mean? Also, we have a jumper from 5 to 6 on the Machine side and a jumper 4 to 6 on the PC side. Could that be causing this problem?

Thanks for your help so far!

We've determined that those jumpers were causing the problem. Now we're trying to figure out how to set up our PC properly to be able to send files to the controller. We received info from Fanuc about how to set up the PC but we can't find 2 of the options they recommended..

4800 Baudrate [Done]
    2 Stop Bits [Done]
    ISO Code (ASCII or Raw ASCII) [Can't figure out where to changes this.]
    Even Parity [Done]
    Data Length 7 Bits [Done]
    XON / XOFF Control Codes Used [Done]
    LF for End of Block Code [Cant figure out where to change this.]

Thanks for your help!

What program are you using on the PC?

2) Trying to setup transfer via RS-232 cable and the Fadal manual doesn't give a lot of good information on setting this up. We're trying to find information on how to set up the machine for receiving a file from a PC.

RS232

1) get correct cable. Easiest by DIY.
    Remember rs 232 cable must be crosswired.
    CNC Wiring

2) Get good dnc program
    for example->DNC – wireless and wired, Free DNC for 1 machine

3)In fanuc , its very simple. Depending version it,s OUT ford out put and INPUT for input. Or PUNCH for output & READ for input

Almost alltimes cable is wrong. Y cant get tranfer work with direct cable, it must be crosswired.

Hope this helps !

Quote Originally Posted by dcoupar View Post
    What program are you using on the PC?
    We're trying to use NC Fadal. We're not even sure if that will send the program to a Fanuc controller. We also have GibbsCAM, but we don't like the idea of it being tied up every time we need to run a CNC program. But even in Gibbs we can't find a place to change the EOB code.

We've determined that those jumpers were causing the problem. Now we're trying to figure out how to set up our PC properly to be able to send files to the controller. We received info from Fanuc about how to set up the PC but we can't find 2 of the options they recommended..

4800 Baudrate [Done]
    2 Stop Bits [Done]
    Even Parity [Done]
    Data Length 7 Bits [Done]
    XON / XOFF Control Codes Used [Done]
    LF for End of Block Code [Cant figure out where to change this.]

Thanks for your help!
    This is set via the controls Settings Page

If its the PC side that you're trying to set, and if there isn't a field available in your PC software to set the EOB and data type (ISO, ASCII, or EIA), you can change the settings at the machine to match. Most systems will default to ISO, and ISO/EIA is selectable via the Settings Page of the control. The options available on the machine side with regards to EOB characters are CR CR LF, or just LF, and is selected via Parameters. I can't remember the parameter number offhand, and I'm away from the books today. If you have all the Fanuc manuals for your control you will find it fairly easily in there.

Most software packages have the option available to filter out some of the EOB characters, but irrespective as to what the machine side is set to, this should not stop Comms form happening. It may affect how a received program is displayed by the PC software.

What does "1 to shield" mean?
    The data cable you should be using has a shield of either aluminum foil , or woven mesh surrounding the wires in the cable. It should also have a bare wire trace that will obviously make contact with the shield for the full length of the cable. This wire trace can be connected to pin #1 at the machine end only. This connection is deemed by many to be somewhat optional, and rarely gives a problem if not connected. However, if strange results were occurring, then I would make this connection just to eliminate possible causes. At the moment, this is not the cause of your issues, and will not stop Comms happening completely in any case.

Regards,

Bill

We're trying to use NC Fadal. We're not even sure if that will send the program to a Fanuc controller. We also have GibbsCAM, but we don't like the idea of it being tied up every time we need to run a CNC program. But even in Gibbs we can't find a place to change the EOB code.
    Try OneCNC, its a free package, or I have my own application that is bullet proof with regards to Comms, but its not free. I can send you some details if you send your email address via PM.

If you have the cable connected as I've suggested, that part of your problem is solved.

Regards,

Bill

I've also used NCnet Lite from CADEM. It's free, too.

DNC – wireless and wired, Free DNC for 1 machine

Page 1 of 3 123