587,575 active members*
3,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SolidCAM for SolidWorks and SolidCAM for Inventor > Help with selecting correct machining operation

Help with selecting correct machining operation

Hi,

Can someone please suggest the correct machining operation to machine out the highlighted section only? I have attached a jpeg screenshot.

I can't get imachining to play ball with the open chain. Any ideas? Is imachining even possible here? It automatically defines an offset in the "material boundary" section of the geometry tab. What is this?

Also, I cant seem to get an open pocket operation to work correctly either; using the highlighted line as the chain.

Solidcam 2014 sp0

Attachment 275566

Re: Help with selecting correct machining operation

Quote Originally Posted by jk677 View Post
    Hi,

Can someone please suggest the correct machining operation to machine out the highlighted section only? I have attached a jpeg screenshot.

I can't get imachining to play ball with the open chain. Any ideas? Is imachining even possible here? It automatically defines an offset in the "material boundary" section of the geometry tab. What is this?

Also, I cant seem to get an open pocket operation to work correctly either; using the highlighted line as the chain.

Solidcam 2014 sp0

Attachment 275566
    Try profile with step down increments. You could also try pocket for the inside then profile for a finish.

Close the pocket with a sketch and choose either pocket operations or Imachining

Quote Originally Posted by imachining-6061 View Post
    Close the pocket with a sketch and choose either pocket operations or Imachining
    imachining-606

I'm new to this, is using sketch to close things a common practices?

Rick

It's up to you if you want to use a particular operation then you have to modify the geometry to fit the operation or use the one which is most suitable for that geometry . You could use a profile operation with multiple passes nothing wrong with that

I wouldn't say it's a common practice, but it sure speed up some my operation by adding a sketch then specify the open/closr edge. Post your file, some of us may help you. Also, I would modify your tool holder to allow the tool not rub on the plate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk